I scratched my head in my sleep a month after my FUE transplant, what should I do. (photo)

I scratched my head in my sleep a month after my transplant and it has now scabbed, what shall I do about the scab?

scratching your head 1 month after the procedure will not affect the outcome. As far as the scab is concerned, you should keep the area clean and dry, avoid hair products with alcohol, and allow the scab to fall off normally. Do not pick at it. 

Chicago Physician

Scratch your head

After a month, scratching your head will not affect the outcome of your transplanted grafts. 

As far as what to do about the scab that you got from it. I would just suggest that you treat it the same way that you would treat any scab. 

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scratching FUE area one month after with scab forming

There is no way that scratching one month after an FUE procedure is going to hurt the outcome.Was this an isolated event?

Bernardino A. Arocha, MD

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Scabbing after 1 month

Let the scab heal completely and fall off naturally. Keep the scab dry and clean. It will heal on its own. It should not affect the graft grow rate in that area.

Thank You

Scratched my head one month after a hair transplant

You reported that you 'scratched my head' one month after a hair transplant and now have a scab on it. There is nothing you can or should do at this point in time. You will probably have no damage to the transplants at one month

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Scratching after hair transplant

You likely don't need to worry about scratching your head 1 time after the transplant.  However, if the scab does not resolve I would recommend following up with your surgeon.

Amir Yazdan, MD
Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Scratching you head after a hair transplant

Its normal to be concerned after a procedure, you just invested in yourself and want the best outcome.  However, at this point, 1 month, you can't scratch your scalp and hurt anything.  The scab will fall off normally but I recommend soaking you scalp for 5 minutes in a tub to accelerate the process.

Head scratching

Usually a month after your hair transplant your grafts are "anchored" histologically speaking.  Which is to say that they have their own blood supply and should be able to withstand a little minor damage.  TReat it like any other scab - keep it clean and let it heal.  IT should be rubbed off when it is ready.

Sara Wasserbauer, MD
Walnut Creek Hair Restoration Surgeon