How Much Does a Natural Breast Augmentation Cost?

I just had a baby and my breast are not the same. Are they permanent and how big can you actually go?

Natural Looking Breast Augmentation Cost

Most patients want to have the fullest breast profile that still looks natural on their body. The limiting factor for implant size is almost always the appearance of the upper pole. At some implant volume, the upper pole of the breast begins to look excessively rounded or convex, and that is a look that says "breast implants live here". There really is no way to determine preoperatively what the fullest implant volume is for each patient that does not produce that rounded upper pole look. Surgeons who are attentive to detail use an O.R. table which allows them to sit a patient upright several times over the course of the procedure, so that an implant size and profile can be selected that is ideal for each individual patient.

The type of implant is also important, as the implant style that will work best to produce a natural feeling result depends on a patient's body style and preoperative breast size. Silicone gel implants, without question, have a much more natural feel than saline implants in slender patients, especially those with an A-cup or small B-cup preop breast profile. On the other hand, fuller-figured patients with a full B-cup breast size that are seeking a full C- or a D-cup breast enhancement will almost always get a breast augmentation result that feels completely natural if saline implants are used. The more natural tissue there is to conceal a pair of implants, the harder it is to detect saline implants by feel.

Regardless of implant type, there is really only one ideal position for breast implants with respect to the pectoralis major muscle. Subpectoral placement provides additional coverage of the implants in the cleavage area, which results in both a more natural appearance and more natural feel. This is especially true for slender, small-breasted patients, as the pec major helps to flatten the upper pole of the implant and prevents the upper edge of the implant from being visually obvious. That excessively round appearance in the upper pole is to be avoided at all costs.

The price of breast augmentation surgery will vary from surgeon to surgeon. The price of the implants is one factor. The training, experience and expertise of the doctor is a significant factor. The facility where surgery is performed and the OR staff is another factor.  Also, a busy plastic surgeon with a full OR schedule will not be providing discounted rates, like a newer, inexperienced plastic surgeon, or a surgeon who cannot demonstrate through many many before and after photographs their ability to produce beautiful and natural looking results with breast augmentation surgery. 

I view breast augmentation as more than a breast enhancement surgery. It is a total body contouring surgery, and the breast profile that one creates with implants should match a patient's overall figure. It should appear completely plausible that the breasts have not been surgically enhanced. I want for my patient's appearance to make others think "Wow - what a great figure", not "I wonder who her plastic surgeon is".
Over and over I hear patients remark, after reviewing some of our `before and after' photos, that they had no idea that a breast augmentation could look so natural. It can, and in my opinion it should. Having practiced plastic surgery in the 'breast augmentation capital of the world' (Los Angeles), and having performed hundreds of breast augmentations in North Carolina for patients who are seeking a breast enhancement that looks like it actually is a natural part of their bodyWhen researching the training of a plastic surgeon, check to see if they attended a top medical school and graduated among the top in tier class. Where did they receive their formal surgical training? A prestigious university medical center? How many years of training did your plastic surgeon receive. The minimum for board-certification, but some surgeons elect to undergo as many as ten years of formal surgical training.  

Of course select a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and perhaps a member of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.
Viewing many photographs can also help you to determine whether or not a plastic surgeon shares your aesthetic sensibility

You should be able to speak to previous patients and discus their experience with them.

It is also critical to ask about the surgery center where your procedure will be performed. You need to know about accreditation, sterile processing procedures and who will be with you in the surgery. In my office I work with a board certified anesthesiologist, certified surgical technicians and nurses who are in the room during surgery. We also have preoperative nurses and a nurse for post anesthetisia care. Of course we also have a certified sterile processing technician. 
Remember the results from this procedure are permanent. Take your time researching your plastic surgeon and ask any questions you have on your mind.  

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Fat transfer, breast augmentaiton

Using your own fat cells to enlarge the size of your breasts is still experimental. Early studies show the average increase in bra cup size is less than one cup. You must have adequate fat stores to harvest the fat from, and having more than one injection session is fairly common. Radiologists are still being trained to read mammograms on women who have had this procedure done. It is usually at least twice as expensive as silicone implant breast augmentation, which creates predictable and excellent results.

Patti A. Flint, MD

Post-Pregnancy Breast Changes Are Permanent

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, post-pregnancy breast changes are largely permanent. The extent of the changes depends on genetics, the amount of breastfeeding, weight gain, etc. In terms of "how large can you go" in implants, there is a vast array of sizes available from each of the three main breast implant manufacturers. You will, with certainty, find a breast implant size that suits your needs.

Good luck, and for more information about other choices to be made before undergoing breast augmentation, take a look at the Guide to Breast Augmentation on my website from the web reference below. I discuss common patient questions I receive, silicone versus saline implants, round versus anatomically shaped implants, smooth versus texturized implants, implant manufacturer, implant insertion incision location, implant location inside the breast, and more. 

Joshua D. Zuckerman, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation cost

Thank you for your question. Costs vary according to the severity of the condition, the combination of procedures undertaken, the amount of surgical time involved and the facility at which the procedure is carried out. We cannot offer an accurate cost estimate without seeing you. However we do offer complimentary no-obligation nursing consultations as a first step towards helping you understand your options and the approximate costs involved. A more accurate costing will be made after the first consultation. Best of luck!Dhaval M. Patel Double board certified Plastic surgeon Hoffman Estates Barringtonoakbrook Chicago

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation costs

Thank you for your question. I would visit with a number of plastic surgeons in your area. I would narrow down to a few surgeons that you feel very comfortable with and discuss price/payment options. There are several costs that go into breast augmentation including the facility fees, anesthesia fees, surgeon's fee and the cost of the implants.  Our charges begin in the $6-7000 range and increase depending on the type of implant and whether a breast lifting procedure is also needed.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

Breast Augmentation After Pregnancy

Many women like you find that they are unhappy with the changes in their breasts after pregnancy and breastfeeding. Some are able to recapture the look and shape of their pre-baby breasts with breast augmentation, while others require a combination of breast lift with augmentation to fully address all of their concerns. The results of breast augmentation with an implant can look totally natural and will last the rest of your life, though your breasts will continue to change as you age. Cost tends to vary depending on your location and the level of experience of your surgeon.

Frank Lista, MD

Breast Augmentation Cost

Consult in person with three board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

The cost for Breast Augmentation like other cosmetic surgery varies considerably across the country and even in the same area. South Florida tends to have lower fees then more expensive areas such as New York or Los Angeles. We charge $2800 + MD Anesthesia related costs for breast lift with saline implants. Gel Implants tend to be about $1000 to $1500 more. Since you can get quality work at lower costs, patients will travel from throughout the state, the country, and internationally to have surgery in South Florida.

To ensure that you are receiving quality work with personalized care at the most cost effective prices, consult with board certified plastic surgeons that own their own nationally accredited facilities. The quality must be maintained at the highest level to maintain accreditation. The surgeons also have incentive to hire and train quality staff (to ensure that surgery is efficient and enjoyable), to ensure comfortable and private facilities (to encourage referral), and to eliminate waste (to ensure that these facilities can compete effectively).

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation Cost and Natural

The cost of breast augmentation can vary depending on whether you have saline or silicone implants. There are some important questions to ask as you should not base your decision about where to have surgery only on price.

It is important to ask the right questions during your consultation:

• 1.Is your surgeon a board certified plastic surgeon?
    • a.Be sure he or she is a plastic surgeon, there are a lot surgeons that are cosmetic surgeons or board certified in other fields other than plastic surgery. They do not do the same training as a plastic surgeon.
    • b.You can check the American Board of Plastic Surgery website for a list of plastic surgeons in your area.
  • 2.Does your surgeon commonly perform this procedure?
    • a.Ask to see before and after pictures or look online for reviews on the procedure.
  • 3.Where is the surgery performed
    • a.Is the procedure performed in an accredited surgery center or hospital?
  • 4.Who performs the anesthesia for the procedure?
    • a.Is an anesthesiologist performing the anesthesia?
Yes you can get a very natural result from your breast augmentation. The silicone implants can give patients a very natural and soft appearance.

With the new silicone implants there is the not the recommendation that you have to change the implants every ten years as there was previously. As long as you love the implants you just keep them!

It is difficult to know what implant size would be best for you. It is important to see your board certified plastic surgeon to help guide you to an implant that will give you an aesthetically pleasing breast.

Johnny Franco, MD, FACS

Cost of breast augmentation

Often it is not the best approach to find the cheapest plastic surgeon. Does the surgeon specialize in this procedure? What are their credentials? How long have they been in practice? What percentage of their practice is cosmetic surgery? How many of these surgeries have they performed? Do they use the latest techniques? What do their results look like? Do they have photos to show of their work? Do they provide follow-up themselves, or will you only see the nurses (or even just an assistant)? Are they available by phone for an emergency or does one of their staff answer after-hour calls? What is the impression you get from their office and staff? Are they professional and informative? Do they know what they are talking about? You need to ask yourself all of these questions.

When comparing quotes from different doctors, check to make sure that the costs you are quoted are for the same thing! Check to see what type of anesthesia and facility you are going to be treated in. If the total price is lower but you are not going to receive proper anesthesia from a board certified anesthesiologist, then are you getting a better deal (or inferior treatment)? If the facility is not a certified outpatient surgery center but is an in-office procedure room, is the difference in safety worth the cost reduction? If the doctor is not a board certified plastic surgeon, is that worth the discount in the fees? I would say the answer to all three of these questions is no!

Assuming you are talking about a board certified plastic surgeon with plenty of experience in breast augmentation, you need to find someone who you trust. This is your body, make sure you are making decisions based on the quality of care, the experience and training of the doctor, and proven results! Cost alone should not be the deciding factor.

The prices can vary from state to state, and from city to city. Our costs, including the board certified plastic surgeon's fees, board certified anesthesiologist's fees, operating room, saline implants, labs, scar gel, vitamins, and follow-up at 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, and every year after that forever, are around $5000. If you need more follow-up appointments, those are free as well.

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation cost and results

Breast augmentation involves the placement of implants to enhance the size of the breasts. These implants remain permanently in your body and can be removed surgically. The cost of breast augmentation in Toronto, Ontario, varies from $8000 to $9500 and the cost depends on several factors. You can go as large as you'd like within reason, however most patients prefer a natural looking result. Measurements of your pre-surgery body and your expectations are considered before determining an implant size. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD