Can the Cool Mini (CoolSculpting) be used on the cheeks?

I know it can be used on the chin area, but will it help minimize ones "chubby" cheeks?

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, the cheeks are not an area that can be treated with CoolSculpting. 

Regards, 

CoolMini is great for use under the chin to reduce submental fat there.

CoolMini is great for use under the chin to reduce submental fat there, and also can be effective for other small, hard to treat areas such as the armpits or knees, but I would be hesitant to use it on the cheeks. The applicator is not designed for the cheek contour, and you may end up with undesirable results. I would visit a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for a consultation to see what your options are.

Margaret Weiss, MD
Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella

Thank you for your question, cflorrick. For your edification, Kybella beats CoolSculpting in all clinical studies and is FDA-approved which CoolSculpting is not. Both are not approved for use on the cheek, because they are only approved for use under the neck. Please consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hi and thanks for your question. No, unfortunately it is not an option for the cheeks and is approved only for the area under the chin.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS, FICS
Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Cool Mini and the cheeks

Thank you for your question.  While the Cool Mini is an outstanding treatment for fullness under the chin, it is not designed for use on the cheeks.  I would recommend a consultation with a highly experienced expert in facial aesthetics to determine what your treatment options are to help you achieve your goals. 

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Cool Mini and the cheeks

It is not recommended to use the Cool Mini adaptor on the cheeks.  It is made primarily for the area under the chin (submittal).  Consult with a boar certified plastic surgeon for other options for the cheeks.

Cody Koch

Cody A. Koch, MD, PhD
Des Moines Facial Plastic Surgeon

CoolMini Versus Kybella for Neck Fat

CoolMini works well on the neck but is not indicated for other areas.  The cheeks can be treated with kybella off label, but there is risk.  I suggest you see a body shaping expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Cool Mini for "Chubby Cheeks"

Dear cflorrick:

CoolSculpting (CS) works!. A new smaller, more curved applicator called the CoolMini is available with its focus for submental fat, ie., 'double chin" fat. 

The applicator is also used in other smaller area where fat accumulates such as the inner knee and above the knee, fullness in front of and behind the armpit, the lateral "banana roll" and upper inner thigh.  I anticipate it will be used elsewhere dependent on the proper fit of the applicator and the amount of fat that can be "pulled" into the applicator cup for a efficient cooling.

Whether it is appropriate for "chubby cheeks" depends, as I say, on the amount of fat and the ability for the applicator to suction the skin and fat roll properly. 

CS works in 2 ways:
  1. Apoptosis or the cells natural resorption following injury by cold, and Inflammation which causes the immune system to search and destroy cells injured.
  • Inflammation can also cause shrinkage of the skin which, while not guaranteed, has been a helpful improvement for many a CS patient.
  • CoolSculpting like any option of body contouring has its limitations and should be compared to other options such as:
  • lipocontouring
  • facelift 
  • kybella
by a well experienced, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and Certified CoolSculpting Team. I wish you the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

I would not recommend placing the Cool Mini on your cheeks. Best to visit an experienced office for evaluation and discussion of best options.

Cool Mini designed for submental area, not cheeks

Thanks for your question. I always recommend you have a consultation with a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon to learn all of the best options for your particular concern.

The Cool Mini is designed for fat reduction on the neck, or what we call the submental area, commonly known as the double chin. The adapter is not something that would or should be placed on the cheeks. If you have too much volume in the face, or lax skin, one of the RF skin tightening devices might be best here: the Venus Legacy, the EndyMed 3Deep, the BTL Exelis, or the ThermiSmooth all can work here. You would need a thorough consultation and once the problem identified, the proper treatment plan can be determined. I always tell people one device does not treat everything, although at times, some want to use their one device everywhere.

Make an appointment with an expert to determine what is best for you.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon