Which is more effective: Kybella or CoolMini?

There has been some news about CoolSculpting's new CoolMini for chin fat. Which treatment is better?

Kybella vs Coolmini (Coolsculpting)

The answer to this question is simple.  They can get the same or similar results but it will take more time and treatments with Kybella to get the same result that is achieved in one session with Cool mini.

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella vs Coolmini (Coolsculpting)

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella Versus Cool Mini

This is interesting question because I just went through this on Cosmetic Surgery Times today.  They are VERY different.  Both require a number of treatments and have inflammation after.  One can contour and be tailored (kybella) and the other cant.  Both indirectly cause some degree of skin tightening.  I find, ultimately, liposuction with or without ThermiRF or external skin tightening are best.  In some instances im doing lipo and then 2-3 months later doing 1 kybella treatment to get an enhanced result.

Kybella Versus Cool Mini

Kybella versus Coolmini

I provide both the Coolmini and Kybella in my office.  The decision depends on the type of fat, the nature of the area, and the preference of patients as well including cost.  Some patients do not want needles and prefer the cool- mini. If you have a great deal of fat under your neck it will be more cost effective to have the Cool-mini. Kybella can be injected and customized based on a patient's neck.  Both procedures are highly effective.  Best, Dr. Green

Kybella versus Coolmini

Kybella is the best option

In our office, we have found Kybella to be superior to the CoolSculpting line. 

Kybella injection, also known as ATX-101, is the first and only FDA-approved injectable drug that contours and improves the appearance of submental fullness due to submental fat. It has been indicated for improvement in the appearance of moderate to severe convexity or fullness associated with submental fat in adults.

We administer Kybella injections into the fat under the chin during in-office treatments that last 15-20 minutes.

I suggest you consult a board certified facial plastic surgeon to receive the highest quality knowledge, treatment, care and skill available. A consultation provides you the opportunity to relay your concerns and desired outcome to the surgeon while the surgeon can assess your health profile and discuss his/her pertinent advice.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella is the best option

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting mini vs Kybella

Thank you for this excellent question. I am excited that we have both on the market now and I expect many patients using one or both treatment modalities. The Coolsculpting mini will get a broad reduction of the submental fat but has a little more difficult to customize the procedure as there is only one applicator size. Kybella allow for a customized treatment for every patient based on their physical exam. I would visit a plastic surgery a practice that offer both of these and who can also discuss with you the surgical options.

Coolsculpting mini vs Kybella

It is still too soon to answer this question. Kybella is an injectable that can be used only at the submental area. CoolMini is a device that has the physical limitation of the shape of the head, so not every submental contour will fit the device. Both modalities of treatment just received FDA clearance, so we will need more time to see which one is more effective. None of them can be used to sculpture the jawline area.

Hope this helps,
Dr. Gus Diaz
Double Board Certified in Facial Plastic Surgery
Lumenis National Laser Center of Excellence

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hope this helps,
Dr. Gus Diaz

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Both offer permanent fat reduction, which is evident starting about a month after treatment and continues to improve for 3-5 months. Permanent is awesome! There are almost no contraindications for either treatment choice. Kybella causes a "chemical death" to the fat cells, using an ingredient natural to the body, deoxycholate. CoolMini causes a "thermal death" to the fat cells, freezing them to death, since fat cells are more sensitive to cold than other body cells.

Only the Kybella will also tighten the skin.

Also, one can sculpt out the neck and jowls more accurately to desired contours with Kybella (injectable deoxycholate).
CoolMini handpiece of CoolSculpting takes 1 hour per treatment session, and has no significant aftermath to deal with, except some redness and swelling, mild to moderate in amount for a couple hours, at most. Pain is minimal. The discomfort is due to the strong suction and cooling plates used.
To tighten the skin better after CoolMini, one usually needs another skin-tightening procedure.
Kybella takes about 5 minutes of injection time, will cause pain (moderate-to-severe, lasting usually 6-8 hours just after the treatment, and easily taken care of with oral pain medicine), immense amounts of swelling (which peaks 20-28 hours after injections and is almost gone after 2 days...and the more swelling, the more skin tightening!, as shown by the published works of Diane Duncan, MD, one of my teachers). The discomfort is due to the tiny (skinny needles, ~1/4 inch deep) injections (lessened with pre-treatment topical anesthetic cream) and quick death of fat cells. (Bye-bye fat, forever!!)
Both procedures can give patients a transient hoarseness and mild discomfort swallowing solid food for about 4-12 hours, in the first 24 hours after treatment, but no problems with breathing or
The number of treatments of either treatment modality depends on both the amount of fat present and experience level of the doctor. (I have been performing the deoxycholate injections for TEN YEARS, have performed thousands of these treatments, with 100% satisfaction of patients for the neck/jowl area. I was taught by the inventors of the procedure and formula. I have both treatment types available, and find patients have a more desirable outcome from the deoxycholate/Kybella treatments).

Kybella vs coolmini

Great question! I just got the coolmini in yesterday and was shocked to find that my face wasnt wide enough to be treated by it. So that is one difference between the two. Also, Kybella can be used all the way out towards the lateral parts of the neck. The coolmini applicator is very specific and cannot be made wider. 
They are both very effective but there are definitely good and bad candidates for both.  
Let me know if you have any other questions!
My best,
Sheila Nazarian 

Kybella vs coolmini

My best,
Sheila Nazarian 

Kybella and CoolMini reduce the Double Chin of the Fat Neck

CoolMini from CoolSculpting freezes the fat of the neck and is done with one or two applicators and may require two to three treatments which I perform every two months. There is small amount of swelling for a week or so. 

Kybella requires several treatments, 3 -6 depending on the amount of fat and is repeated every five weeks on average. There is more swelling than with CoolMini for the first two weeks. I refer to it as the Jello jiggle. 

Some patients don't have enough fat, or the CoolMini applicator doesn't fit well for them so Kybella may be preferable.

Both treatments improve the neck but certainly are not as effective as liposuction.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

CoolSculpting and Kybella

CoolSculpting and Kybella are both effective treatments for submental fullness.  While the treatment goals are similar, the procedures and recovery can look pretty different.  CoolSculpting with the CoolMini is completely non-invasive using cold panels to permanently eliminate fat cells.  Each treatment takes about an hour and typically patients receive 1-3 treatments preformed every 3-12 weeks.  There is very minimal down time and patients can return to work or social activities immediately after treatment. CoolMini results are seen as early as one month after treatment and can continue to improve for about 3 months. The limitation of CoolSculpting is the treatment area is restricted to where the applicator panels can touch making the treatment less customizable then Kybella.

Kybella is a minimally invasive treatment using small injections to treat the desired area under the chin.  The treatment only takes about 15 min and results are typically seen in about a month.  The down time for Kybella is typically 3-5 days to be considered socially presentable but swelling can last up to two weeks. Most patients also require 2-3 treatments to achieve the ideal chin profile. Kybella offers a customized approach without surgery, but the down time is more significant than CoolMini. Talking to an experienced board-certified facial plastic surgeon, dermatologist, or plastic surgeon is the best way find the most ideal treatment plan for you. 

CoolSculpting and Kybella