Which is more effective: Kybella or CoolMini?

There has been some news about CoolSculpting's new CoolMini for chin fat. Which treatment is better?

Kybella Versus Cool Mini

This is interesting question because I just went through this on Cosmetic Surgery Times today.  They are VERY different.  Both require a number of treatments and have inflammation after.  One can contour and be tailored (kybella) and the other cant.  Both indirectly cause some degree of skin tightening.  I find, ultimately, liposuction with or without ThermiRF or external skin tightening are best.  In some instances im doing lipo and then 2-3 months later doing 1 kybella treatment to get an enhanced result.

Kybella versus Coolmini

I provide both the Coolmini and Kybella in my office.  The decision depends on the type of fat, the nature of the area, and the preference of patients as well including cost.  Some patients do not want needles and prefer the cool- mini. If you have a great deal of fat under your neck it will be more cost effective to have the Cool-mini. Kybella can be injected and customized based on a patient's neck.  Both procedures are highly effective.  Best, Dr. Green

Kybella is the best option

In our office, we have found Kybella to be superior to the CoolSculpting line. 

Kybella injection, also known as ATX-101, is the first and only FDA-approved injectable drug that contours and improves the appearance of submental fullness due to submental fat. It has been indicated for improvement in the appearance of moderate to severe convexity or fullness associated with submental fat in adults.

We administer Kybella injections into the fat under the chin during in-office treatments that last 15-20 minutes.

I suggest you consult a board certified facial plastic surgeon to receive the highest quality knowledge, treatment, care and skill available. A consultation provides you the opportunity to relay your concerns and desired outcome to the surgeon while the surgeon can assess your health profile and discuss his/her pertinent advice.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella vs Coolmini (Coolsculpting)

The answer to this question is simple.  They can get the same or similar results but it will take more time and treatments with Kybella to get the same result that is achieved in one session with Cool mini.

Corey S. Maas, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting mini vs Kybella

Thank you for this excellent question. I am excited that we have both on the market now and I expect many patients using one or both treatment modalities. The Coolsculpting mini will get a broad reduction of the submental fat but has a little more difficult to customize the procedure as there is only one applicator size. Kybella allow for a customized treatment for every patient based on their physical exam. I would visit a plastic surgery a practice that offer both of these and who can also discuss with you the surgical options.

It is still too soon to answer this question. Kybella is an injectable that can be used only at the submental area. CoolMini is a device that has the physical limitation of the shape of the head, so not every submental contour will fit the device. Both modalities of treatment just received FDA clearance, so we will need more time to see which one is more effective. None of them can be used to sculpture the jawline area.

Hope this helps,
Dr. Gus Diaz
Double Board Certified in Facial Plastic Surgery
Lumenis National Laser Center of Excellence

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Both offer permanent fat reduction, which is evident starting about a month after treatment and continues to improve for 3-5 months. Permanent is awesome! There are almost no contraindications for either treatment choice. Kybella causes a "chemical death" to the fat cells, using an ingredient natural to the body, deoxycholate. CoolMini causes a "thermal death" to the fat cells, freezing them to death, since fat cells are more sensitive to cold than other body cells.

Only the Kybella will also tighten the skin.

Also, one can sculpt out the neck and jowls more accurately to desired contours with Kybella (injectable deoxycholate).
CoolMini handpiece of CoolSculpting takes 1 hour per treatment session, and has no significant aftermath to deal with, except some redness and swelling, mild to moderate in amount for a couple hours, at most. Pain is minimal. The discomfort is due to the strong suction and cooling plates used.
To tighten the skin better after CoolMini, one usually needs another skin-tightening procedure.
Kybella takes about 5 minutes of injection time, will cause pain (moderate-to-severe, lasting usually 6-8 hours just after the treatment, and easily taken care of with oral pain medicine), immense amounts of swelling (which peaks 20-28 hours after injections and is almost gone after 2 days...and the more swelling, the more skin tightening!, as shown by the published works of Diane Duncan, MD, one of my teachers). The discomfort is due to the tiny (skinny needles, ~1/4 inch deep) injections (lessened with pre-treatment topical anesthetic cream) and quick death of fat cells. (Bye-bye fat, forever!!)
Both procedures can give patients a transient hoarseness and mild discomfort swallowing solid food for about 4-12 hours, in the first 24 hours after treatment, but no problems with breathing or
The number of treatments of either treatment modality depends on both the amount of fat present and experience level of the doctor. (I have been performing the deoxycholate injections for TEN YEARS, have performed thousands of these treatments, with 100% satisfaction of patients for the neck/jowl area. I was taught by the inventors of the procedure and formula. I have both treatment types available, and find patients have a more desirable outcome from the deoxycholate/Kybella treatments).

Kybella vs coolmini

Great question! I just got the coolmini in yesterday and was shocked to find that my face wasnt wide enough to be treated by it. So that is one difference between the two. Also, Kybella can be used all the way out towards the lateral parts of the neck. The coolmini applicator is very specific and cannot be made wider. 
They are both very effective but there are definitely good and bad candidates for both.  
Let me know if you have any other questions!
My best,
Sheila Nazarian 

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Kybella for fine tuning vs Coolsculpting coolmini for a larger double chin

I have both treatments available in my office. I recommend Coolsculpting coolmini for a moderate to large double chin; and Kybella for a smaller amount of under chin fat. There are patients I would recommend to start with Coolsculpting coolmini then use Kybella to get the final defined jawline. The treatments are not exclusive of each other. When combined, it could eliminate a double chin without any surgical procedure.

Sheena Kong, MD
San Francisco Internist

Kybella vs. Coolmini

Both procedures can be effective, and a patient may be a candidate for one procedure but not the other. For patients that also has a loose skin tend to be better candidates for liposuction. Consult with an experienced and expert board certified physician to review your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS