Which is more effective: Kybella or CoolMini?

There has been some news about CoolSculpting's new CoolMini for chin fat. Which treatment is better?

Kybella versus Coolmini

I provide both the Coolmini and Kybella in my office.  The decision depends on the type of fat, the nature of the area, and the preference of patients as well including cost.  Some patients do not want needles and prefer the cool- mini. If you have a great deal of fat under your neck it will be more cost effective to have the Cool-mini. Kybella can be injected and customized based on a patient's neck.  Both procedures are highly effective.  Best, Dr. Green

Kybella is the best option

In our office, we have found Kybella to be superior to the CoolSculpting line. 

Kybella injection, also known as ATX-101, is the first and only FDA-approved injectable drug that contours and improves the appearance of submental fullness due to submental fat. It has been indicated for improvement in the appearance of moderate to severe convexity or fullness associated with submental fat in adults.

We administer Kybella injections into the fat under the chin during in-office treatments that last 15-20 minutes.

I suggest you consult a board certified facial plastic surgeon to receive the highest quality knowledge, treatment, care and skill available. A consultation provides you the opportunity to relay your concerns and desired outcome to the surgeon while the surgeon can assess your health profile and discuss his/her pertinent advice.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella vs coolmini

Thank you for the great question.  Kybella can be utilized more in difficult contoured areas and be tailored to each individual's neck contour. Cool mini has a set applicator which can make it difficult in fitting every neck. 

Kybella vs Coolmini (Coolsculpting)

The answer to this question is simple.  They can get the same or similar results but it will take more time and treatments with Kybella to get the same result that is achieved in one session with Cool mini.

Corey S. Maas, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting mini vs Kybella

Thank you for this excellent question. I am excited that we have both on the market now and I expect many patients using one or both treatment modalities. The Coolsculpting mini will get a broad reduction of the submental fat but has a little more difficult to customize the procedure as there is only one applicator size. Kybella allow for a customized treatment for every patient based on their physical exam. I would visit a plastic surgery a practice that offer both of these and who can also discuss with you the surgical options.

It is still too soon to answer this question. Kybella is an injectable that can be used only at the submental area. CoolMini is a device that has the physical limitation of the shape of the head, so not every submental contour will fit the device. Both modalities of treatment just received FDA clearance, so we will need more time to see which one is more effective. None of them can be used to sculpture the jawline area.

Hope this helps,
Dr. Gus Diaz
Double Board Certified in Facial Plastic Surgery
Lumenis National Laser Center of Excellence

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella Versus Cool Mini

This is interesting question because I just went through this on Cosmetic Surgery Times today.  They are VERY different.  Both require a number of treatments and have inflammation after.  One can contour and be tailored (kybella) and the other cant.  Both indirectly cause some degree of skin tightening.  I find, ultimately, liposuction with or without ThermiRF or external skin tightening are best.  In some instances im doing lipo and then 2-3 months later doing 1 kybella treatment to get an enhanced result.

Kybella vs coolmini

Great question! I just got the coolmini in yesterday and was shocked to find that my face wasnt wide enough to be treated by it. So that is one difference between the two. Also, Kybella can be used all the way out towards the lateral parts of the neck. The coolmini applicator is very specific and cannot be made wider. 
They are both very effective but there are definitely good and bad candidates for both.  
Let me know if you have any other questions!
My best,
Sheila Nazarian 

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Kybella vs. Coolmini

Both procedures can be effective, and a patient may be a candidate for one procedure but not the other. FConsult with an experienced and expert board certified physician to review your options. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Belkyra vs Cool Mini

No comparison studies between Belkyra vs the Coolsculpting – Cool Mini.  It is your choice based on convenience and affordability

Belkyra is best for localized submental fat.

Cool Mini is best for larger quantities of submental fat.