Got Botox a week ago. My smile is crooked. I went to see my dr. She injected more the side where my gum line is showing (Photo)

I suspect my chin was injected too high and it spread, hoping what she did to correct will work, but I can't decide which side got too much Botox or too little. Don't want to make the problem worse by getting it fixed even more before I know exactly what the problem is

Botox results from chin injection

Unfortunately, it looks as though the Botox migrated  into the right DLI muscle resulting in the asymmetric smile. Technically, Botox injection into the left DLI will make the smile less asymmetric but, honestly, if you were my patient, I would recommend waiting  2-3 months for the effect to resolve on its own. Sorry to hear about your case, but it will return to normal.

Crooked smile lower lip after Botox

The problem is the right lower lip DLI muscle. It was injected inadvertently. It will just take time to get better. Don't inject the other side or you will have trouble moving food around in the mouth. It takes about 3 months to get better.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Botox and Asymmetrical Smile -- Will Resolve in 2-4 Months

I suggest waiting and do not mess with this.  It takes 2-4 months to resolve on its own.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Botox

This is due to unwanted effect of Botox on the muscles around the mouth. The side that moves less is the side that had Botox affecting muscles that control the corner of the mouth. Your doctor's choice of the side is correct. Effects of Botox are temporary and will only last for about 3 months

Botox lower face

It looks like the botox migrated from the injection site.  It's best to wait until it fully wears off.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your smile issues after Botox. It appears that your right lower lip had a muscle responsible for lowering it during smiling affected but if your injector added additional material to your left lower lip you will have to allow enough time to pass to see what the results will be to see if you achieve improved symmetry.  I know it is distressing but Botox will wear off and return you to your prior appearance. 

Crooked smile after Botox

Thanks for your question and I am sorry this is happening to you. Since you have already had this corrected, I recommend you watch and wait. Botox is not permanent, which is good, but there is not a reversal agent. Often times, when an unintended muscle is affected by Botox, the effect is short-lived. If the wrong muscle is injected, that is another story. I suggest you follow you follow up with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to ensure a safe and effective NEXT treatment.

Botox and smile

When performed properly, Botox will not have any effect on your smile or speech.  Follow up closely with your surgeon to ensure the best results.  Botox is not reversible, but it is temporary and will wear off in 2-4 months.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Asymmetric smile after botox

I am sorry that you are having this problem.  Botox injected around the mouth can improve fine lines and elevate the corners of the mouth.   However, if the injections diffuse to a muscle that pulls the lip down when you smile, it can cause one side to not drop when you smile.  This will wear away over time; however, an expert injector can inject a small amount on the lower left side to create some symmetry for the time being.  By doing this, your smile will lose lower teeth show but it will be symmetric until it wears off.  Seek out an expert; don't trust your smile to just anyone.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Asymmetric smile after Botox in the chin

Thank you for your question annie8080. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. In the lower face a small amount of Botox can be placed in the mentalis muscle in the chin to help with dimpling or wrinkles there. If the Botox spreads to the neighboring DLI muscle a temporary asymmetric smile can result. This usually lasts no more than 3-4 months. If this happens, some doctors correct the asymmetry by placing a very small amount of Botox in the DLI muscle that is not relaxed. This is the side where the lower lip goes down upon smiling. Such a treatment can improve the asymmetry and the results of such a treatment can be seen within two weeks after the treatment. Please follow up with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician