I Think my Sutures Are Ripping, What Should I Do?

Ripping of internal sutures after an abdominoplasty is highly unlikely

It may feel like your internal sutures are ripping but this is highly unlikely.  Swelling combined with early scar formation can surround the sensory nerves and cause pain.  Time will help this get better.  If there is any question then you should be examined by your plastic surgeon. 

Ripped Sutures

It is unlikely that your sutures have ripped, however, to rule out any possible problem, I would recommend you contact your surgeon and let him/her know what you're experiencing.  They may want to see you in the office to examine the area and make recommendations. 

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Sutures ripping

If your incision is closed don't worry about it.After 4 to 6 weeks you are free to do whatever.Before then stay low and no abdominal exercises etc.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

I am uncertain as to what you mean by ripping sutures. But rather than beginning an interrogation on line, it would be best for you to call your surgeon and express your concern. The surgeon will decide if you need to be seen, or just reassured.

All the best. 

Ripping Sutures?

The answer to what should you do, is call your surgeon and discuss your concerns with him or her. They may want to see you for an in person exam but you should make them aware of your concerns. Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD (retired)
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Call your surgeon about any suspected wound healing issues.

Tearing of sutures after an abdominoplasty is extremely unlikely. Nevertheless call your surgeon and report what you are experiencing.

Ripping sutures

Hi zumomma.  It is very unusual to have ripping sutures.  Without any more information about your symptoms, it is hard to say anything else.  If you are concerned, I suggest you see your plastic surgeon.

Lewis Ladocsi, MD, FACS
Richmond Plastic Surgeon