My skin is beginning to crepe on my legs. What's the best treatment for this?

I notice that my skin on my legs looks almost scaley at times. If I put lotion on it helps. It seems to not be as elastic. I'm 37 and feel like my skin shouldn't be looking this way yet. Is there any treatments I could start with to prevent further loss of firmness.

Dry skin on legs

Based on your description, it would seem you are suffering from extremely dry skin that needs to be sloughed off.  I would suggest using a highly moisturizing lotion infused with glycolic acid.  The dry skin will flake off but the moisturizer with keep you skin hydrated during the process.  I would recommend using this type of moisturizer all winter as this is when dry skin is at its worst.
Hope this helps!

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Exfoliating moisturizer

Based on your above description, your legs appear to be dry. One possible treatment option would be to start a moisturizer that contains exfoliating properties such as CeraVe SA Lotion or Cream (contains salicyclic acid which helps slough off dry, rough bumpy skin) or Eucerin Professional Repair Lotion (contains alpha hydroxyl acid to help slough off dry skin). Both products may increase your skin’s sensitivity to the sun so limit your sun exposure and use sunscreen and wear sun protective clothing.

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist

Best treatment for crepe skin on legs.

There are certain things you can do to stem the progression of what is occurring with the skin on your legs. First, protect against sun exposure as this damages the elastin in your skin. Use 30 SPF sunscreen religiously. Second, drink plenty of water, eat fruit and vegetables. Third, use a thick moisturizer twice a day as a preventive measure.
The skin type you have more than likely inherited. Small measures as described above will stem the process. You should also rule out eczema, psoriasis and/or other skin diseases. Check with a qualified dermatologist. Beyond these measures, there is no device currently on the market to help improve the elastic quality of skin in the third decade of life.

Michael Stefan, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Skin Elasticity

This is a common concern in my office for both legs and arms. As we age our oil glands do not produce as much and we are left feeling drier. We also develop a buildup of dead cells and that makes it difficult for lotions to penetrate adding to our dehydrated skin.

There are various options that I use at my office. You can start with a peel to exfoliate the top dead layer of unhealthy skin. Doing a peel will bring up new healthy skin that is more hydrated. For more improvement you can microneedle the new skin and have your plasma topically applied, this will hydrate the skin and improve the amount of collagen and elasticity.

It is best to consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist to see what treatment is best for you.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Scaly skin on the legs - venous eczema

Scaliness of the skin can be so many things but common things are eczema or psoriasis (which a dermatologist can help you with), dry skin, or stasis dermatitis. Stasis dermatittis is from venous insufficiency and is also called gravitational eczema or venous eczema. Wear compression stockings if you have obvious varicose veins and talk to your primary care doctor for guidance. You can see images of stasis dermatitis on my website. 

Best Treatment for Legs?

Thank you for your question. keep the area hydrated with a good moisturizing cream to help with hydration, and periodic exfoliation on the areas that are scaly, always use SPF 30 or greater with zinc oxide, year around, re apply every two hours when outdoors, evaluate after 3 months.I hope this helps!

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon