Comment on the Effectiveness of LifeCell, Obagi and Advanced Dermatology Skin Care Products Versus Skin Rejuvenation Procedures?

Each claim to have the most effective anti-aging, skin improvement product on the market. Peptides, retinol-A, acids, blah, blah. It is too hard to discern facts. Nobody has the money to waste trying each one. I am 56 with normal skin aging for my age. Small wrinkles and losing elasticity. My skin tone needs improvement too. I am fair skinned, no excessive sun damage. Are any of these three worth the price tags, or is a rejuvenation procedure the way for a woman my age to go? Thank you.

Facial Rejuvenation

Skin care products have their place in treating superficial skin conditions, color, pigmentation, quality and texture of the skin. As far as an anti aging, They will not improve wrinkles, or replace the need for a facelift. Ablative Laser resurfacing can improve on the skin as above and smooth wrinkles and if aggressive enough can tighten skin.

What Are The Most Effective Skin Improvement Products on the Market For A 56 y/o ?

This is a very difficult question to answer. However, I feel that most products are so over hyped and therefore can't really deliver the results that they suggest. The most important factors to consider before picking a skin care line are:

1. Your skin type 2. Your climate 3. Your lifestyle 4. Are you willing to commit to a regiment to improve your skin quality.

I am a firm believer in stem cell products, tri-peptide activators and anti-oxidants.

Joseph Rucker, MD, FACS
Eau Claire Plastic Surgeon

Effectiveness of medical grade topical skin care products

The skin Care products that you mention can be effective in peeling dead damaged skin and removing pigment when properly applied.

At the present time however these products do not truly build significant new collagen to plump and tighten the skin.

Combined laser resurfacing can create a significant improvement that requires a recovery period of at least a week or 2.

Based on your question by suggestion would be to consider non-ablative fractional erbium laser resurfacing.  This is a no down time procedure however over the course of 6 months at least for treatments can typically significantly improve the amount of collagen in your skin and improve skin tone and wrinkles. See the following link for more information.