Post septoplasty injury bleeding?

Had septoplasty 5 days ago. Got hit in the nose yesterday by my daughters head. One side was bleeding for about 30 minutes. What are the possible causes for bleeding, beside the obvious possibility of a new fracture? Have visited my surgeon, he told me that he can't know or do much as long as the swelling goes down.

Bleeding after septoplasty

The risk of bleeding after septoplasty is significant for the first 10-14 days. There are cut edges of nasal lining sewn together, cut bone edges at times, and sometimes small tears in the lining of the septum. The septum has a rich blood supply so any injury to the nose can cause any of these areas to bleed. The thing to ensure is that you don't have a septal hematoma. If your surgeon has ruled that out then you need to wait until the swelling resolves to see the final result. All the best,

Dr. Brace

Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post Septoplasty Bleeding

Thank you for your question. This is quite common. As your septoplasty incision is still fresh, the trauma could have caused it to bleed. Your surgeon is correct in telling you swelling has to subside prior to evaluating further damage. If your nose looks a lot different from pre-injury, this can be an indication of further damage.

Follow up with your surgeon. Best wishes.

Greg Chernoff, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septoplasty and injury

Thanks for this question. You are asking about a common occurrence after nose surgery that happens a lot more often than patients would think. First, if your nose did bleed, there was an injury to the lining of your nose that causes the bleeding. This is typically caused by an injury to your septum cracking slightly. Though this sounds bad, it may not effect the result of your surgery.  If you noticed breathing problems immediately after the injury, then it is certainly possible to fix your nose in surgery relatively quickly Because this will most likely not get better on its own. If you can still breathe well and outward appearance is unchanged, then I agree with your doctor and wait until the swelling goes down.  Hope this helps. 

Taha Shipchandler, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon