What to eat after my tummy tuck with muscle repair and lipo?

What should I eat after my tummy tuck with muscle repair and lipo that is scheduled in 3 days I have gained weight , 10 lbs since I scheduled surgery.

Weight gain prior to surgery

I would eat healthy, drink plenty of fluids, and avoid alcohol.   I would inform your surgeon ahead of time about your weight gain, so they can evaluate how this may affect your result.   All the best.

Post op diet

Hello and thanks for the question.

Your specific diet after surgery is dependent on any medical conditions that you may have and your surgeon. In general a balanced diet with the normal amount of calories for your height and weight is recommended. There are particular medicines and foods that I have patients avoid, however, and I would talk to your surgeon about these.

James E. Hardy, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

I appreciate your question.
Please speak to your surgeon about your concerns

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Post-op diet

Hi, Mount Juliet5962.  Prior to your tummy tuck, you want to reach your stable, goal weight.  You want to keep the same weight after the surgery.  Please eat healthy with low salts.  Keep your body hydrated and advance your diet slowly from liquid to soft food.   Dairy products may make your bloated and digest food slower.  Keeping a good healthy diet and lifestyle is crucial in maintaining your surgical outcome. Best wishes with your surgery and recovery!

Post tummy tuck diet

Most surgeons would suggest that you start with liquids and then advance to bland food before progressing on to a normal diet.  Inactivity, and narcotics increase the chance of constipation and the last thing you want is constipation after a tummy tuck.  Avoid refined foods that are constipating, consider a stool softener and drink lots of liquids.

John Dean, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

You can eat anything as long as you watch your calories

If you have been gaining weight you are eating more than you should.  Cut back but eat the foods you like.  You should watch your caloric intake and never exceed your daily requirement in calories.  

Vasdev Rai, MD

This is best answered by your operating Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, I am certain he / she has a post-op protocol they follow. As a general rule it is best to start with a liquid to soft diet and then slowly progress to a full diet over the next few days. The narcotic for pain control can be constipating and therefore  a stool softener or a higher fiber diet is helpful. As always being weight stable is to your benefit for the best long term results.
Good Luck

Stephen M. Davis, MD, FACS
Green HIlls Plastic Surgery
Nashville, Tennessee

Diet after Tummy Tuck

We have our patients eat only clear liquids for the first 24 hours post surgery. We want to prevent vomiting which may strain the muscle closure. We also recommend stool softeners for a few weeks for the same reason. Thereafter, any diet that maintains your weight is appropriate.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Thank you for your excellent question.  It will be important to prevent straining in the immediate post surgery period so as to avoid strain on your muscle repair, so fiber and stool softeners are advised.  To help heal your incisions, a diet high in protein is also advantage.  After surgery you want to maintain a healthy diet, one that allows you to maintain your weight without large fluctuations, as this allows for the best long-term results.  Hope that this helps. 

Abdominoplasty | Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question about tummy tuck.

It is best to be at a stable weight that you can realistically maintain after surgery. If you weight changes significantly, then this makes the results unpredictable.

To be sure, see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have a tummy tuck or related procedure.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS