Lumpy section. (photos)

I am 9 days post op from a tummy tuck with Lipo to the abdomen and love handles. I have linear like lumps in the love handle area. Looks like maybe the abdominal Binder lines. Is this normal?

Lumpy section

Thank you for your photos. It is a pleasure to answer your question. At 9 days post op of a tummy tuck you are very early of your recovery process. At this stage it is quite normal to be swollen. It will diminish with time. The recovery process of this surgical procedure is one of the longest, it could take up to 6 months to heal completely. I recommend patience and follow up with your surgeon. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Cali Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

You are very early in the post-op and you have to give it time to heal and of the swelling to subside. Best of luck.

Be patient & don't worry

Thanks for your question and for posting your pictures. Your abdomen looks pretty good for this stage of your recovery. We are constantly surprised by the different amounts of swelling and bruising that people have after abdominoplasty. Some have next to none. Most have a bit. Some are really bruised and swollen. You look just fine for this stage. The most important things to help you recover quickly at this stage are:

1. Lycra-rich garments - we suggest our patients wear their gym clothes as they tend to be good quality and relatively 'seam-free'. Wear them as much as you can, including in bed at night.

2. Mobilise - by now you should be starting to get back to your normal activities and gentle exercise. This is important for encouraging lymphatic flow to reduce your swelling.

3. Rest - The importance of rest is often underestimated after surgery. Good pain relief before bed should help you get a good nights sleep.

4.  Regular follow-up with your plastic surgeon - there is nothing like the reassurance of seeing your surgeon and his staff in the first few days and weeks after surgery. We see all our patients every week until they are healed (usually 1-2 weeks for abdominoplasty).

I hope this helps. It looks like you are on the road to a lovely result  

Chris Dunkin, MBBS, MRCS, MD
Leeds Plastic Surgeon

Lumpy section

Thank you for your question. You are in early post op period and they will settle with time. Make sure your garment leaving compression lines on skin. Please talk to your PS for further guidance.

Tummy Tuck - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question and photos. You are still early in the post-operative period and should expect to have swelling for three to six months following your tummy tuck surgery, Use of a properly fitted compression garment will help decrease the length and severity of the post-operative swelling. It appears your garment is too tight and the cause of the lines on your abdomen. As the swelling decreases, the contour of your abdomen, flanks, and hips will dramatically improve. Please follow your plastic surgeons specific advice regarding your level of physical activity. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Tummy tuck and lipo

Thanks for your question and pics. At 9 days post op the description is as expected. The binder does create areas of fluid/bruise settling and the lumps area swelling in treated areas. It will change as time passes. Your surgeon will be able to examine you and comment on any changes that occur or persist. 

Gary Vela, MD, FACS

Lumpy section.

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and congratulations on your surgery.  Though nothing replaces an in-person examination it appears that the lines along your love handles are the result of your abdominal binder as even the bruising has settled along these areas.  Your surgeon should be able to provide you with additional reassurance so voice your concerns to them.  Hang in there!

Abdominoplasty

You are very early postop and there will be a lot of settling that will take time. You do need to be careful that your garment is not creating a line of pressure and I would contact your PS to determine whether you should change into a different garment. 

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon