Facial asymmetry - can it be fixed with Sculptra? (photo)

The left and right sides of my face are very asymmetrical. It can be seen in my cheeks - on my left cheekbone there is some definition however on my right there is little to no definition. My right cheekbone around my nasolabial folds is much flatter than the left. Also, my right eyebrow is noticeably lower than my left. Would sculptra in my mid face, cheeks and temples help to contour and define? I am also interested in getting Sculptra in chin & jaw. Please share your thoughts.

Sculptra injections for facial asymmetry

Sculptra continues to be an excellent filler for facial asymmetry as it provides natural enhancement of the soft tissue.

Dr. Karamanoukian
Los Angeles

Sculptra for Facial Asymmetry

Thanks for your question and as noted by the other physicians, you are being tough on yourself. We are all asymmetric to some degree and that is what makes us unique. If you do not like the way one side of your face looks, I would recommend being evaluated by a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon and to see close up what your concerns are and what non-invasive techniques can be done to improve the things that bother you.

Perhaps Sculptra would be a good option, as well as Voluma or Perlane that would give more immediate results than Sculptra. Also, perhaps having a radiofrequency (RF) skin tightening procedure would give you the results you are looking for. The Venus Legacy, the Ellman Pelleve, the EndyMed 3Deep, or the Alma Accent or VShape can improve the situation as well. Find the right doctor and learn all the options that are out there that will make you feel even better about yourself.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Asymmetry in motion

Every face is imperfectly balanced. When you smile at your fullest, the asymmetry disappears. If you were to alter your facial profile, that could impact how you look when you are happiest.

There could be several things at play here - the side you sleep on and the side you chew on most often in addition to underlying anatomy. A physician would need to see your face in various animation to get a real sense of how to carefully make any changes at all.

A hyaluronic gel would give you an immediate augmentation in the right cheek - plus it's dissolvable so in the event you didn't like the changes, you can make them go away.

Botox or similar can lift a brow.

You seem anxious to change many things, but you are a lovely young woman as you are now. Please make decisions very slowly and carefully.  You would not want to discover you acted too quickly and lost your unique looks.

Nasrin Mani, MD
La Jolla Ophthalmologist

Sculptra for correction of Facial asymmetry

Sculptra is a great choice to build your own collagen in the mid face and chin area.  Young patients such as yourself have fabulous results with these treatments.  If you want immediate results you can have Voluma injected.  The most important aspect is to consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience in facial injections.

Minor changes are better corrected with HA's

I guess the pictures don't do your apparent asymmetry justice, but I would not use Sculptra since it has a more variable response.  Go with a hyaluronic acid product, chosen by you and your provider,  that can be injected to the point of correction deemed adequate by you and the injector as you are doing it.  Sculptra takes time to build up and you could overshoot.  Go with an HA and you can help the injector put it where you think you may need it. 

Adrian M. Guevara, MD
El Paso Dermatologist

Sculptra for facial asymmetry

Dear Paulaxtine:

You are way too tough on yourself! You present yourself beautifully and have a wonderful smile.

Unlike a dress draped on a perfectly symmetrical hanger, facial asymmetry with its folds and creases (like different hands, shoulders, breasts, hips and feet) are an expected variation of the anatomy. When asymmetries are too different or there are functional problems associated with such asymmetries, Plastic Surgeons offer options to fix the underlying bony "hanger". 

There are soft tissue improvements using fillers to improve mild asymmetries and to highlight or blend different aspects of the face but you have a wonderful and youthful face. I do not feel Sculptra would be a filler (collagen stimulator) of first choice for you. 

For any further concern, please visit a well experienced and caring Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. 

I wish you the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS