I had 4 vials of Sculptra . I see no difference. Do you think its going to work or not?

4 vials so far. 2 over 5 months ago and 2 more a month ago. I am worried that its not going to work I see NO difference. Does this work on everyone>

Sculptra results are very gradual and sometimes hard to see with good before and after pictures

I liken the results of Sculptra to watching your puppy grow. Its hard to notice a difference if you are looking at it everyday, but snapshots taken months apart show much more differences.  The amount of vials varies according to the patient, and their age.  A rule of thumb is one vial per decade of life.  I would say this is the least amount.  The people that respond the least are smokers and people with very sun damaged skin.  Their collagen producing capacity is lowered.  Other than these patients, response is fairly universal.  Even older, healthy patients can respond to Sculptra.

You May Need More Product

Thanks for your question and I am sorry that thus far you have noticed no appreciable change with your Sculptra injections. Sculptra works by stimulating new collagen to grow under your skin and this process takes time. Each person receiving this reacts differently and every patient needs a different amount of Sculptra. You may just need more product if you have had this much and are not noticing an appreciable change. We do recommend that you consult with a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon to make sure that you are getting the most experienced care. We also recommend that these injections take place at 6-week intervals to maximize the benefits of Sculptra. Work with your injector to get the results that you are looking for.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra Made No Difference

Without seeing before and after pictures it is impossible to comment on your specific case. I have never seen Sculptra result in no improvement. Different patients need different numbers of treatments to see the results they desire. Have a frank conversation with your provider about your concerns before your next treatment.

Sculptra Results

Sculptra is a biostimulator, which has your body create collagen and volume.  As such there is a variable response with Sculptra and any facial filler where results may not be as dramatic as desired.  In patients who smoke, older than 70, and in some patients Sculptra may not respond with as dramatic a result as desired.  Consult with your injector and see if there are differences on your before and after photographs to help see what changes are present.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra and results

Sculptra is a great treatment for building collagen and stimulating your body's own collagen for being produced.  The results are natural looking but it takes time.  You will not have "instant" results.  It may take a few months to get the results that you want.  If you post photos I can tell if you are a candidate for Sculptra or not.  For the best results please consult a board certified dermatologist withe a great deal of experience with Sculptra.

Sculptra and Results

sculptra works fantastically if you do enough vials and you are patient.  I suggest doing them more frequently and in combination with other procedures such as thermage or sublative to stimulate the sculptra and improve your skins texture and lifting ability.  But without photos, we cannot know if you are a great candidate for sculptra at all.  So I suggest posting photos or an in office consultation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Sculptra can take time

I have yet to see Sculptra not work.  I would stick with it longer.  I personally tell patients that it takes a minimum of three sessions to really start seeing the difference.  There are lots of schedules, lots of individual variations in dilutions and locations where Sculptra is placed.  So, it's not a simple 1,2,3 process for some patients like the hyaluronic acids can be.  Ultimately I would say to keep at it and you should be rewarded.  Sculptra is really one of my favorite options for volume replacement because of its dependability. 

Adrian M. Guevara, MD
El Paso Dermatologist

Best Sculptra Treatment and Injectors

Hi Cathy,

The results of Sculptra do vary from patient to patient, but it does eventually work in most all patients.  The amount of correction from Sculptra is directly related to how many treatment sessions one has.  You should ask your injecting physician to compare your pre-treatment photos with your current photos.  Be patient.  About 50% of patients see a noticeable difference after their first treatment, 85% after their second treatment, and nearly all patients see improvement after their third treatment.  Sculptra results may vary depending upon the injecting physician as well, therefore it is important to choose your injector most carefully.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

SCUPLTRA

I think it will work, but it is nearly impossible for a patient to see the changes, as you see yourself every single day.  Therefore, your memory will accomodate and forget how you looked 4 months ago.  We usually bring patients back 3 months after we treat them for after photos, and frequently the patient will not see the difference until they see both the before and after photos side by side.  You do need collagen to create collagen, so patients who are younger, with less sun damage get the most spectacular results with Sculptra or any collagen stimulator.

Give it some more time, then go back and have your photo comparison with your physician.  I hope you were treated by a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon, as they have the best record of success with all fillers.

Laura E. Skellchock, MD (in memoriam)
Boca Raton Dermatologic Surgeon

No difference after 4 vials of Sculptra

Because Sculptra is a stimulating agent, it normally does take a series of treatments to obtain the best result.  Without seeing you or pictures of you before your treatments, it is difficult to know if you might have been a good candidate for Sculptra or not.  For patients that do not need drastic improvement, it can still take 2-4 treatments to get the desired result.  If a patient's starting point is more severe, it could take 3-6 sessions to get to the final result.  It also will take 1-2 months after a Sculptra treatment to see the effect of that particular treatment session.  I would encourage you to discuss your concerns with the physician who treated you.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon