Is it safe to go ahead with laser hair removal over a scar from a burn?

I had a deep burn from a boiling water accident last year. It's all healed now but it's left a scar on my inner thigh. The scar is getting better with time, but I'm afraid that laser will make it permanent or have other negative affects.

Laser Hair Removal Over A Healed Scar

Yes, you can have laser hair removal over the scar as long as it is fully healed. You can also check with your treating physician during your consultation. Make sure you are seeing an expert in laser hair removal. 

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Laser Should Not Affect Scar Negatively

If performed with the appropriate settings, laser hair removal over a scar should be perfectly safe.  It may even improve the scar over time!

Douglas Wu, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Laser Hair Removal over Healed Scar

As long as the scar is fully healed, it should be fine to have laser hair removal over the area. Make sure to see a licensed professional to ensure the treatment is done safely. 

Laser hair removal over a scar

This should be alright to do. I would check with the provider doing the procedure. I would do it on a fresh scar but since this is a year old, it should be fine.

Steven F. Weiner, MD