Can I have a "mommy makeover" with vonwillebrands disease?

I had the gastric sleeve surgery 3 years ago and once I get to my ideal weight, I would like to have a tummy tuck, breast implants and lift and possibly an arm lift. The only problem is that I can't find a doctor who knows anything about Vonwillebrands or will work with it. Is there an easier option for me? Less invasive surgeries or a way to find someone who specializes in patients with bleeding disorders?

Thank you for your question.  You would need to be optimized and cleared by a hematologist prior to your mommy makeover surgery.  Good luck.

Stratify your risk for surgery

You need to see a hematologist so they can properly evaluate you and stratify your risk for surgery.

Mommy make-over with Von Villebrand's disease

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.
  • I am so glad you had the gastric sleeve surgery and are losing weight.
  • If you had that surgery, you should be able to have a mommy make-over.
  • I am surprised you can't find a plastic surgeon who knows of the disease and will work with you.
  • Von Willebrands is the most common genetic bleeding disorder -
  • And variable - it is different in different people.
  • Surgery is done by giving you the clotting factors that are missing - as you probably know.
  • First see your hematologist, discuss surgery and confirm that surgery is reasonable for you.
  • Then find a plastic surgeon with hospital privileges -
  • Look at your the very best hospital in the area -
  • And contact surgeon's on their website - 
  • The person who answers will not know about this disease - ask them to ask the surgeon directly and explain that your hemotologist has approved your surgery and you have had major surgery successfully in the past.
  • You will definitely find a good surgeon to help you.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Vonwillebrands disease and cosmetic surgery

Vonwillebrands disease is a disorder of platelets with a normal number, but they do not function normally.  Platelets are the important first step for beginning the clotting cascade to stop bleeding.  Patients with this disorder that have emergency surgery have an increased risk of bleeding and needing a blood transfusion if they develop dangerously low hemoglobin levels.  Intra-operatively things can be done including ddavp a diuretic that helps platelets work better and or platelet transfusions with the inherent risks of transfusion complications.  That is why it is not taken lightly for elective cosmetic surgeries, particularly those with expected risk of high blood loss.

Plastic surgery after weight loss/VWD patient

If you successfully recovered from the gastric sleeve operation, then theoretically you should have the same experience with a mommy makeover. However, if the plastic surgery is strictly cosmetic, then you may be responsible for some not so typical fees. Other surgeons that have answered this question agree that the operation should be performed in a medical center with your hematologist involved at every step of the way. You'll need to be informed of the possible adjunctive procedures such as platelet transfusion, additional medication expenses, etc.

Tad Grenga, MD, FACS
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon

You can but your surgery will need to be coordinated very closely with your hematologist. You would need to be done in a hospital setting (instead of just an ambulatory surgical center) and you will require certain medications before and after your surgery, along with careful monitoring. Best to openly discuss your history with your plastic surgeon so he or she can make the proper determination. Good luck!

Vonwillibrands and mommy makeover

Since you know and have been diagnosed  as having Von willibrands disease, then you have worked with a hematologist and should know what type of von willibrands disease you have.Type 1, type 2 or type 3.all Doctors are very aware of the disease. Since you had a gastric sleeve before, then you probably have a mild form (Type 1). You probably is not a candidate for elective surgery.Any surgery should be done in a major hospital center. A hematologist should be involved in the care and available immediately. The hospital should be made aware and stock on the medications and factor 8 infusion.This is true even for dental surgery.This discussion should be with your hematologist first. Then try to find the medical center and the plastic surgeon willing to operate under these circumstances.

Surgery with VWD

Yes you can have surgery but it requires working closely with your hematologist. There are certain meds that may be required to be administered prior to surgery to put you at low risk prior to surgery and your hematologist will make that decision.

Mark Deutsch, MD

Mommy Makeover with vWD

Yes, you can have a mommy makeover with vWD.  Your surgeon will likely work closely with your hematologist who will guide any medication used to help your platelet function.  You may want to contact your hematologist first to get recommendations, and then approach plastic surgeons with those recommendations.  Your surgeon may want to take extra precautions before and after surgery (screening your blood for possible transfusion, monitoring in a hospital, etc.).  Best of luck!

-Dr. Dan Krochmal
MAE Plastic Surgery
Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Mommy Makeover and von Willebrand Disease

Thank you for your question.  My question to you would be how was your vWD managed during your prior surgeries such as the gastric sleeve.  The main treatment options for patients with von Willebrand disease (vWD) are desmopressin (DDAVP), recombinant von Willebrand factor (rVWF), and von Willebrand factor/factor VIII (vWF/FVIII) concentrates.  For patients undergoing major surgery, rVWF (with or without FVIII) or vWF-containing factor VIII concentrates are the treatment of choice. However, your hematologist should be consulted prior to any procedures so that appropriate recommendations can be made for your specific case.  I would also recommend that you be observed in the hospital for at least one night so that you can be promptly treated in the event of any bleeding episodes.  All of these things will add cost to your procedure but would be the safest way to approach it.  I also suggest that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery very experienced and with a history of excellent results in your desired procedures.  Hope this helps.