How to ask for a revision without insulting my surgeon's work? (Photo)

I got a Benilli BL with 600 cc's saline under muscle implants and a full TT 6 weeks ago. I develop necrosis 3 weeks after my TT in the incision line above my praviate area and belly button. I am currently done with treating the wound and it has since closed up. I am over all satisfied with my tummy scar and breast implants. I would like to know if I am eligible for a re-vision on my TT due to the loose skin and my my breast areolas stretching to 7cm. Any information would be appreciated.

Speaking with your surgeon

It is important that you are open and honest in expressing your concerns to your surgeon.  I'm sure he/she wants you to be happy with your results, and therefore a discussion is in order to develop a plan that you're both satisfied with.  A revision at this point is too early.  You will need to wait a minimum of 3-6 months before considering further surgery.

Revision

Nipple-Areaolar enlargement is common with a circumareolar lift and should have been discussed in detail prior to surgerythe TT scar does look good and low(except for the mid area where you had the problem)it does appear you still have excess skin and thickness to your abdominal flapWaiting at least 3 months prior to revision surgery would be a good idea, hopefully the breast tissues will stretch/relax and the NA complex can be simply reduced with diameter controlled by suture. The abdominal flap will need to be completely re-elevated with some significant lipo and/or fat resection. You would also achieve a better result if you were able to lose a few pounds between now and then.

How to ask for a revision without insulting my surgeon's work?

Usually any revision would be considered after at least 3 months healing. But if you had minor TT scar necrosis I would wait 6 months. Also try weight loss of 20 pounds during that time!

Revision Surgery

A doctor patient relationship should be a good one prior to having surgery. You should feel comfortable with the surgeon prior to surgery and after surgery as well. If you have concerns you should discuss it with the surgeon and revision is required the surgeon should have had a certain policy regarding revision discussed prior to the original surgery. Many surgeon charge anesthesia and operating room fees but do not charge surgeon fees.
Good luck 

Revisions

Typically, when patients ask about "revisions" what they are really asking is will there be any cost? Most surgeons want to know if you are less than fully satisfied and want you to be happy.  That does not necessarily mean that other procedures are at no or reduced cost. Every practice has it's own policy and ogten that is disclosed BEFORE your first surgery. While you are still quite early in your recovery and it is too early to consider any new surgery, you can simply ask your surgeon what would be involved in obtaining further improvement in whatever issue is bothering you. While you did not post any pre-op photos to compare with, your early after result appears very good so far. Stay patient but keep open lines of communication with your surgeon.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Tummy Tuck Revision Surgery

Revision surgery is unusual but may be desired for several reasons. Most revisions should be done after 9-12 months.  One cause for revision surgery are “dog ears” at the ends of the incisions. These are small folds of excess skin that do not flatten over time.  They can be excised, suctioned or both.

Scars may widen or continue to be red  and elevated.  These may require laser treatment or injection with kenalog and 5-FU.  Excision and reclosure may help some scars. Other treatments are available as well. Excess fat or loose skin may require liposuction and skin excision to obtain the best result. Additionally, one key to a satisfying result is realistic expectations.