Liposuction without tummy tuck? (Photo)

3 weeks from today, I'm scheduled for liposuction on my abdomen, hips, and outer thighs. I'm 44 and have had 2 C-sections, however I never did get strechmarks. Actually, after having my boys, I was 10lbs lighter than my high school/college weight with no loose skin. My question is, do I automatically need a tummy tuck because of my age and because I've had 2 kids? The reason I ask is because I feel like almost every review of a woman over 40 with kids says yes. My surgeon tells me no.

Liposuction

Hello and thank you for your question.  The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.  With that being said, based on your photographs, you are a good candidate for waistline contouring liposuction of your abdomen, flanks, and lower back.  This can greatly improve your overall shape with a smaller waist.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Is a TT always needed after pregnancy?

Everyone is different. Your surgeon has the advantage after having examined you in person. Pregnancy does seem to damage the abdominal wall in most cases, however, not all. A detailed physical exam is necessary to determine if you need abdominal wall repair or excision of excess skin and tissue. If you feel you need another exam, seek a second opinion. Most surgeons on this site offer a complimentary consultation. 

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction without tummy tuck?

Thank you for sharing your excellent question and photographs.  Age and number of pregnancies does not determine the best type of surgical treatment to help you reach your goals, only your skin elasticity and your goal results.  Based on your pictures alone I agree that I don't see significant stretch marks that would preclude the use of liposuction and liposuction alone may be an excellent treatment to reduce your waist circumference and improve your abdomen, hips, and thighs.  Hope this helps.

Tummy tuck v lipo

Skin quality determine last whether you need a tummy tuck or not. Based on your photos your skin appears to have good elasticity and should respond nicely to Lipo alone 

David R. Alfonso, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Automatically?

You can choose between tummy tuck or liposuction. There's nothing automatic about it. And, there's no way to second guess a surgeon that has had the benefit of examining you and speaking with you about your desired results. Perhaps if you're unsure, then have a few second opinion consultations with well respected body surgeons in your area would be helpful in your decision making. Best, Dt. ALDO :)

Aldo Guerra, MD

Lipo only

Thank you for your question. Based on the picture you are a very good candidate for liposuction. Look like you have good quality skin. Does not look like a need TT

Liposuction

I would not suction your abdomen. I think an abdominoplasty will give you a better result.

Good luck,

Greg Sexton, M.D.

Columbia, S.C.

Lipo only?

It is possible that you might just need liposuction.  If your muscles are in good shape and you do not have a lot of loose skin, or you just do  not want the recovery or the scar from a tummy tuck then lipo might be ok.

Liposuction or tummy tuck?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction vs. tummy tuck decision.

• Your surgery based on what your body needs.
  • If you have no loose skin and your muscles are tight, not stretched, you don't need a tummy tuck.
  • Your photos however suggest that your muscles are stretched from your two children and are causing the tummy to bulge.
  • If this is the case, you cannot get a flat stomach from liposuction,.
  • If your surgeon is a plastic surgeon, ask her/him to check you a second time.
  • If your surgeon is not a plastic surgeon, get an opinion before your liposuction so you understand the pros and cons.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Mommy Makeover with VASER Hi Def Liposuction, ThermiRF, ultrasound

Not automatically, it will depend on the laxity of the skin. You appear to be a good candidate for liposuction. I recommend a hi-definition procedure for the best results with skin tightening. 

I use VASER HI DEF with ThermiRF, ultrasound and fat grafting to get the most fat removal, skin tightening, and contouring. If you are a candidate for a tummy tuck, it can be performed at the same time. I suggest a consult with a hi-def physique liposuction expert to go over the best options. Best, Dr. Emer