Uneven nostril heights (not size) after rhinoplasty. What can be done to make them even? (Photo)

It's almost been 6 weeks since my rhinoplasty(bridge, tip, alar reduction) and my nostrils are different heights. They both seem the same size but from the frontal view they are different heights and it's very noticeable. I understand I'm only about 6 weeks out but I noticed this from day 1. Overall it has not improved at all. At first I thought it was the way the nose cast was sitting on my nose but once that came off I had to rule that reasoning out. What can be done to make them even?

Asian Rhinoplasty - Recovery First

While nostril asymmetry is the most difficult area of asymmetry to correct, in most cases it can be improved during rhinoplasty.  While perfect symmetry is not attainable, improved symmetry usually is.  6 weeks after rhinoplasty your entire nose will still be swollen, including the bridge of your nose. Like you mentioned in your post, it is too early to judge what the final appearance of your nose will be.  By about 3-6 months post-op, enough swelling will have resolved for you to have a good idea of whether you will be happy or not.

6 weeks post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.
It's too early to make value judgments with 6 weeks after a rhinoplasty.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Nostrils are never symmetrical

Hello and thank you for your question.  Unfortunately, nostrils are almost impossible to make perfectly symmetrical.  They are asymmetric before surgery usually, and often surgery makes this worse (not better).  I have my patients wear nostril splints for several weeks and even months at times if they appear to be very different. Good luck and please understand that your nostrils will soften and may improve over time.

Aaron Kosins, MD
Newport Beach Plastic & Rhinoplasty Surgeon

Aaron Kosins, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Uneven nostril heights (not size) after rhinoplasty. What can be done to make them even?

Dear kpop

Uneven nostril height after rhinoplasty was often present pre-op and not seen or addressed. Although it can be improved, difficult to completely resolve. If you look at your cheeks and base of nose, you will likely see uneven projection and vertical height. Although you appear to have had alar base reduction, that often only changes the nose in a horizontal dimension, not a vertical one.  A revision after 3 months can improve the symmetry but will have a possibly noticeable scar on the outside of your ala.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon