Will a Mini Tummy Tuck Get Rid of Scar Tissue?

Hello I have had 4 c-sections and my last one was 4 1/2 years ago. I have a lot of pain in my c-section scar still and my doctor told me it was scar tissue and bad sewing back together job. So my question is if i have to have surgery anyway to fix it will a mimi tummy tuck fix that?

Doctor Answers 3

Tummy Tuck and C-section scar tissue

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

C-section scars can be horizontal and low, or run vertically just below the belly button. If you have a c-section that runs horizontally and low, then either a mini-tummy tuck or a full tummy tuck incision can be made below your c-section scar and will "fix" it.

Thanks for your question! Best of luck!


Gregory C. Park, M.D.

Mini Tummy Tuck?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Without some photos or at least a bit more information, I cannot give much of an answer.

Most patients who ask about mini-tummy tuck are not good candidates. That procedure treats only the lower half of the abdomen--that below the navel, and it is unusual to see a patient whose problem (excess skin, excess fat, lax abdominal muscles) are limited to the lower abdomen. Most of those patients are better candidates for a full tummy tuck. 

If you are having surgery for a scar revision, expanding that procedure to a mini-TT would involve lifting the abdominal skin off the abdominal wall, possibly tightening the lower abdominal wall, and then removing the excess abdominal skin and fat. If the problem is limited to the lower abdomen, this will be an improvement. If there is also laxity of skin and/or abdominal wall above the navel, a mini-TT is likely to create an imbalanced look that may be visually worse than the pre-op appearance. 

Your best option is for an in person consultation. RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Thank your for your question, best wishes.

Jourdan Gottlieb, MD
Seattle Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck after C sections

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Based on the information you have given, and without seeing photos,  it sounds like you need a real Tummy Tuck ( abdominoplasty).  This is usually the result of multiple pregnancies which cause the abdominal muscles to spread apart.  The only way to bring them back to their orginal state is with surgery.  The scar tissue resulting from the incision can easily be redone at the same time.  I recommend you consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) to discuss your concerns and expectations.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.