What results can I expect as a petite woman with 225cc breast implants?

I am getting a breast augmentation soon and leaning towards 225 cc silicone moderate plus or high profile. I am petite (5'2", 95 lbs) and currently 32 AA (minimal breast tissue). Will this be unnatural looking and too big/obvious? Or does this sound like an appropriate size that will create a natural profile consistent with my build? I realize it's difficult to assess these things without an in person consultation but any perspective will help! Thanks!

What size in the small patient.

Very slender patients are always a challenge because there is not as much tissue to help hide the underlying implants. 225 is a conservative volume, but without  photos or an exam I could not tell you which fits your width best. A high will be narrower than a moderate of the same volume.

In the slender patient I recommend:

1) Common sense size- as larger will always look more implanty,

2) Under the muscle- gives one more layer to hide the implant.

3) Silicone gel- Takes on a more natural slope, softer and less rippling.

I have included sizing faq below as well. 

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Size and shape of breasts can often play a critical role in a woman’s self-esteem. Fuller and bigger breasts are often associated with reproducibility therefore it is a desired condition. There are different kinds of breast augmentation operation types. Breast augmentation can be performed either with breast implants or autologous fat transfer. There are also different types of breast implants like teardrop or round implants. These implants also can be placed under or above the muscle. As you can imagine there are several different options for breast augmentation. The best way to understand which one is more suitable for you is to get a physical examination by a plastic surgeon.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Shaped implants will avoid the too obvious look

If you are worried about being too obvious the shaped implants either Mentor Memory Shape, Sientra, or Allergan 410 will be more natural looking. When you want a very obvious look then add a push up bra. When you want to look natural these implants will look natural.

225 cc is a very small implant even in a petite person probably make you a B cup from a AA. Usually 200 cc is one cup size but in very petite it could be 1.5 cups. Some bra manufacturers differ, though.

A moderate plus would be more natural than a high and a small implant in a high would have to be extremely narrow so make sure you are sized accurately to avoid a gap.

Generally for someone who is 12 cm in width for the breast I would put in about a 300 cc implant, and 225 would be among the smallest I have ever done. 

Since you mention both considering high profile but look natural, but then only 225 I am receiving mixed messages about your appearance. I would  do sizers , measurements, imaging, and consider a second opinion to make sure the implant is sized correctly and neither too small or you feel it is too obvious.

Results in petite woman

It is very difficult to answer your question without photos and measurements.  Most likely 225cc will be a natural result.  I have patients bring me photos of their desired look and try on sizers at the consultation to help us decide what size of implant is best.  Those things in combination with your measurements is what I have found is the most helpful way to meet the patient's desired look.  Most women your size pick somewhere between a 225-275cc in my practice or slightly bigger if they are looking for a more dramatic change.  Best wishes!

Maida Parkins, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question.  Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical.  

Having said that, for most patients with your petite frame  and anatomic starting point, I recommend the use of round silicone breast implants placed in the sub muscular (dual plane) position. You will find many similar/representative examples on the attached link.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of know words such as “natural” or "C cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery for petite patients) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with. 

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you  is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Shaped Implants

You are right, there is no way to tell you if you will look 'unnatural' or 'too big/obvious'.  Those are very subjective terms that could mean different things to different people. However, one thing might be obvious: HP implants are 'ball shaped', and produce the same in your breasts.  Consider a shaped, form stable implant of moderate projection that is designed to fit your chest and breast tissue based on linear measurements instead of volume. Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that use shaped devices. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

It is always important to have realistic expectations regarding the results of your surgery. If you have very little breast tissue, then the result of surgery is going to look more like a breast implant because there is not much covering it. As to volume, the 225cc is certainly reasonable for a patient with your ht and wt. I tend to stay away from the high profiles in patients who say they want as natural a look as possible. The Natrelle Inspira Model SRM look very good in patients with your anatomy. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Petite breast implants

The size and shape of the breast implant that is best for you is determined by your height, weight and body measurements. In your case I think the size and shape you are choosing are appropriate. If you want a more curvy look go for the moderate + profile, If not the high profiles will also give you a nice result. If your hips are much larger than your chest you could go to a 250-270 cc range also!

Morad Tavallali, MD
Vienna Plastic Surgeon

Selection her breast implant size for a petite female.

Without photographs from your description I  can visualize your size and think that the 225 mL implant is very conservative and probably in the smaller range of implants I would seek to have available for your surgery (200-275 mL).  In my practice I avoid making a selection of the final implant before the procedure and in fact choose the actual implant when I can test the skin distensability and the size, shape and contour of your breasts using test implants called sizers.  Each surgeon has a different technique but I prefer to take the responsibility for the final implant selection based on the patient's description of their goals and my actual findings of the effect of each implant during the surgical procedure.  Enjoy your results and best wishes,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD