Left breast leaking silicone. I am having severe pain in left arm and a little of my back on left side.

Could it have anything to do with my ruptured left breast? Left silicone breast ruptured seven years ago. Two months of pain in left arm.

Old and Ruptured Silicone Gel Implants

I think most of the admonitions for not removing your implant sooner are more self serving than implications of possible injury due to ruptured silicone gel implants. I've seen women with ruptured implants for untold number of years and possibly decades, some with extra-capsular rupture and leakage as well; they are all well with no medical sequela. It is unlikely your 2 months of arm pain have anything to do with your implants, but if it is, it is more likely something else, like capsular contracture. Please visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that specialize in revision breast surgery. Best of luck!

Leaking silicone implant

Thank you for your question. I can not say all these are related to your leaking silicone definitely. But leaking silicone implant is recommended to remove. I recommend you to see a physician for evaluation. 

Recommendation: Please have the ruptured implant exchanged/removed.

I am sorry to hear what you are experiencing. I am just concerned as to why the ruptured implant was not explanted as soon as it was diagnosed 7 years ago. I hope there was no communication breakdown between you and your surgeon. You have to go back to your plastic surgeon and let them know of what has occurred.

Some clinical signs of ruptured implants include acquired breast asymmetry, breast enlargement, fuller lower pole, and loss of lateral projection. Secondary symptoms could include pain, swelling, redness or even tingling of the breasts. After all these years, it is definitely possible that a capsule formed around the failed implant, and has now started to contract. Capsular Contracture Grade 4 will make your breast seem abnormal, and feel painful to the touch. However, you describe the pain in the left arm and in the left-sided back. Although such symptoms have not been described in the literature, you are one of the few people who have had a ruptured implant left in for at least 7 years, and as such, the left-sided symptoms may be from the ruptured implant.

Once again, please follow-up with your plastic surgeon and have the implant exchanged. Some costs of the surgery may be covered with the implant warranty. You will also benefit from a MRI to see the current state of the implant and the leaked silicone within the breast anatomy.

Hope this helps.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Left arm pain

Thanks for your inquiry and sorry for your struggles.  Ruptured implants can have a variety of effects to the local region of the chest, back, and arm.  Please see your primary care doctor first and discuss the possible causes of your pain, good luck.  

Rupture and symptoms could correlate

Thanks for your question. When implants rupture they can affect the capsule that surrounds the implant. The capsule is attached to various muscles on the chest wall and those in turn are attached to others. It is entirely possible that the left sided symptoms you are having relate to the rupture. I'm not sure why it was not recommended to have the implants removed. Find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area to help you. It's not an emergency, but should be done sooner than later. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Ruptured implants should never be just left in the body...especially for this length of time. It would be best to follow up with your surgeon to see what could be done to have the implant removed. You would also need an imaging scan to see where is anywhere the silicone has spread.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Implant rupture

My  recommendations for a leaking a ruptured implant is to take it out as soon as possible. It may be causing some pain due to some scar tissue buildup in the area and will only get worse so I recommend that you get this taken care of as soon as possible. 

Seven years is too long to wait after experiencing a breast implant rupture. Best to be seen by a board certified plastic surgeon so you can be properly examined in person. You will also need imaging to see where the ruptured silicone is since this may have traveled some over the years and may be contributing to your pain. 

Ruptured gel implant with arm and back pain

Thank you for asking about your ruptured gel implants.

Yes! Your ruptured gel implants should have been removed long ago. Please see a plastic surgeon as soon as possible for an ultrasound to detect foreign material. Please schedule surgery promptly to remove the implants and as much silicone as possible. It will not be possible to remove all the silicone if it has traveled down your arm and into your back.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS