I'm considering Vaser lipo to my abdomen but I have a right inguinal hernia that I would need to address at a later date.

Is it safe to do lipo first and inguinal repair later?

Good question 

You should have no problem with liposuction as long as the physician avoids the hernia but typically the groin is lower than typical entry points.

Minneapolis Physician

Inguinal Hernia and Liposuction

In my practice I collaborate with a surgeon who repairs the hernia during your liposuction procedure simultaneously so you will not have to undergo separate surgical procedures with a longer recovery period. I suggest a consultation with an expert in 4D liposuction that performs this type of surgery in coordination with a physician that specializes in hernia repair to reach optimal results in one surgical procedure. Best, Dr. Berger

Andre Berger, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Inguinal hernia and liposuction

Having  an inguinal hernia should not interfere with the actual procedure of liposuction. Board certified plastic surgeons are trained in general surgery before they begin their plastic surgery training. The area of the hernia is outside the area which is normally suctioned. Therefore a qualified surgeon should have no problems  avoiding the hernia. However  an important reason to  fix the hernia first involves postoperative care. After the procedure a tight binder and often foam pads are placed on the abdomen. This can increase intra-abdominal pressure and could potentially make the hernia worse.  Therefore in order to have the least possibility of problems and discomfort I would have that hernia repaired first.  If not you should be at least aware that there is a potential problem and  could attend to it after surgery if necessary 

Andrew Kaczynski, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting

We do hi def lipo and at the same time fix the hernia. I suggest you have it done at the same time by an expert in 4D body contouring.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Vaser Hi Definition Liposculpture/ Liposuction/Fat Grafting/ BBL

I appreciate your question.I would recommend that you have the inguinal hernia repaired prior to undergoing elective surgery. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Repair Hernia First or Get Liposuction First?

An in-person evaluation will give the best personalized advice. Liposuction is elective surgery. If you believe you will "need to address" the hernia at a later date, that hernia repair would trump having elective liposuction. Even though the incision sites and the liposuction cannula will likely not traverse the area of the inguinal hernia, there will be swelling from the liposuction procedure that may exacerbate any symptoms you have from the hernia. Repair the hernia first. Liposuction will always be there.

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

In my medical judgement ALWAYS have a true medical issue (hernia) taken care of before doing any cosmetic surgeries!