Swollen love handles after tummy tuck with liposuction. Will this change in time? (Photo)

I had a tummy tuck with liposuction of ten areas. However my love handles look as if they have not been touched. The doctor tells me this is swollen and will go away with time. I see no difference as the time goes on. I am 8 weeks post op. Also will my belly button stay this big and open?

Substantial swelling persists for many weeks after abdominoplasty.

Everything disagreeable about your appearance at the moment can be explained by swelling. Remain patient and stay in touch with your surgeon.

Thank you very much for your question and photographs. Everything described is certainly compatible with your stage of post-operative healing. With the extent of your tummy tuck, and the amount of liposuction performed, your body can take up to a year to fully heal. Your tissues will continue to shrink and soften; after twelve months, the final results will be evident. Be patient and discuss any remaining concerns with your operating surgeon.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Swelling post lipo

This can occur and since you are only 2 months I would use heat and massage and wait.Swelling in some areas can persist for months.The belly button may shrink down too.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Hi :

I normal to be still swollen at 8 weeks post op, and it might still be swollen for at least 6 months after surgery.

You need to have patience and keep talking to your surgeon so that he guide you  and lower your worries.

As for what I see you are doing great at 8 weeks.

Adolfo Sesto, MD

Will this change in time?

Thank for your question and the pictures. You are still early on in the healing process. After such an extensive surgery (liposuction of 10 areas and tummy tuck) it will take at least to 6 months for you to see the final results.
I would recommend that you remain patient and discuss your concerns with your surgeon. This will allow you and your surgeon the chance to discuss options available should this persist and help allay any anxieties you may be experiencing.
I hope this helps. Good luck.

Still too early

Liposuction in 10 areas and a tummy tuck is a big procedure with a relatively long recovery. Give it more time. You will notice improvements each month as your continue to recover. The bulges and irregularities will smooth and improve with time. Continue following your docs instructions. 

Best of luck.

- Dr. Bryson Richards

Love handles

You are still early and healing very well.  With more time your scar even your belly button will heal nicely.  Your waist appears narrower and more defined as well.  Congratulations!

#tummytuck scars, swelling and questions after surgery

Thank you for sharing your photos and tummy tuck questions.  You're still in the relatively early phases of healing, however communication with your surgeon is important and should be discussed directly with him or her.  Without the benefit of seeing your pre-operative photos or an in person exam it's impossible to give a medical diagnosis.  For the time being, try to  be patient with the swelling as it can take up to six months to resolve.  My very best to you.  -Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Swollen love handles after tummy tuck with liposuction. Will this change in time?

Thank you for your photographs and questions.  Unfortunately only your surgeon knows what took place during surgery, and without a physical exam it is difficult to tell you whether your hips/flanks have swelling or were not liposuctioned.  In my opinion, from the photographs posted, it does look like your abdomen and flanks were recontoured.  At 8 weeks you may still have some mild swelling present, but most should have resolved by now.  Your belly button will not change much from its current appearance, but i recommend you voice all your concerns with your surgeon, as they will want to ensure that you are happy with your results and that your questions are appropriately answered for reassurance.  

I must agree with you! If after 8 weeks you still see no improvement than you must consider that you need more liposuction. Understand if you had surgery in an office surgery center than ONLY 1 liter of fat could or should have been removed under Florida Board of Medicine Rule that "limits" the removal of fat by liposuction when combined with another surgery, i.e. a Full Tummy Tuck. Maybe you had 1 liter removed from other areas? Best to ask your chosen surgeon this. Anyway you will need more lie surgery. Sorry. BTW why is your incision unloved? and YES the bb will appear like this. Again sorry.