Is it better to remove a fresh tattoo or an old one?

I got a tattoo 4 days ago and im hating it. Im thinking about laser removal, my tattoo is on my ribcage and its a very small one 3x2 with thin lines, only numbers. How many sessions will i need and how much time do i need to wait to start with the treatment?

Tattoo Removal

Thank you for your question in regards to Tattoo removal. It is recommended to wait until your new tattoo is completely healed before starting laser tattoo removal treatments. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

Easier for Fresh Tattoos, but you Have to Wait!

It is easier to remove a fresh tattoo than an older one, but you will have to wait until your skin has healed before you can begin treatments. Smaller tattoos like yours take much less time to remove, so you can expect to only need a few sessions.

Eric Seiger, DO
Fenton Dermatologist

Tattoo Removal

I would recommend waiting two months before trying to remove the tattoo for the best cosmetic results.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with expertise in lasers and tattoo removal.  Best, Dr. Green

Tattoo removal

Hello . 

I would recommend to wait until your skin area has healed ( 4-8 weeks ) then you can remove your tattoo. Fresher tattoos are easier to be removed, it depends on the type of ink used, colors and he laser that it is used.   

Joseph Doumit, MD
Montreal Dermatologist

Removing a new tattoo

Removing a brand new tattoo is generally easier and requires fewer treatments than an older one. You should wait for your skin to totally heal (4-8 weeks) then begin treatments right away. In brand new tattoos it takes a while for the ink to completely settle into the dermis, so it is more easily picked up by the laser.

Removing a fresh tattoo

You will want to wait several weeks (4-8, depending on your body's healing timeframe) before beginning tattoo removal treatments.  Our practice uses the PicoSure laser system which uses trillionth of a second technology to shatter the ink into microscopic particles.  When picosecond technology is used, most tattoo ink can be cleared in half as many sessions as Q-switch lasers would require.  Based on the information you have given, I would estimate five treatments would be needed, treatments should be spaced 6-8 weeks apart.  Thank you for your question and I wish you all the best.  

Laser Tattoo Removal Facts -- Takes a series of treatments

You would need to let the tattoo heal before removing, which could take 4-6 weeks. It will take a series of treatments. See a laser tattoo removal expert for a formal evaluation. Best, Dr. Emer

Hello, thank you for your question.  You will definitely have to wait at least a month for the tattoo to completely heal up before you start treatment.  It sounds like the tattoo would be easily removed because it is relatively small and not real dense with ink.  You do not say what color the ink is, if it is black, black responds very well to laser tattoo removal.  It will be multiple treatments however. The latest technology in laser tattoo removal is pico-second technology. The PicoWay Laser (Candela/Syneron) uses photoacoustic impact/pressure waves rather than photothermal/heat.  This process has less heat, therefore it is more comfortable and the chances of hyperpigmentation are less.  The Pico-second pulse shatters the ink into even smaller particles, allowing the body to more easily absorb the ink. Many lasers can be successful, but the pico-second technology can usually remove unwanted ink in about half as many treatments as the traditional Q-switch devices.

Good Luck!

Mark A. Blair, MD
Phoenix Dermatologic Surgeon

Best to wait AT LEAST 6 weeks to maximize results

Our board-certified dermatologists are among the most experienced in this field and suggest patients wait at least six weeks before seeking treatment of their new tattoo.

Roy G. Geronemus, MD

Time to remove tattoo

You will need to wait until the skin is completely healed prior to having laser tattoo removal.  In general, I recommend waiting 6 weeks after getting a tattoo before beginning removal.  It is impossible to predict how many treatments will be needed.  It depends on many things, including the type of laser used.  A dark tattoo on the trunk should respond well to a 1064nm picosecond laser, such as enlighten.  With that device, I would predict somewhere between 5-10 treatments.