Will a TCA peel help fade my tattoo? (photos)

I just posted a question about layering off my new tattoo... but in addition to that (because I need to wait a few months before I start that process) I'm wondering if doing a mild (8-10%) TCA peel will help to fade the tattoo somewhat before I start lasering?

TCA peel and tattoo

The tattoo is too deep to be affected by the peel. I would not do this I've seen some burns of DIY remedies at home.

Tattoo Removal

No! A TCA peel will have no effect on a tattoo. The ink is not on the surface but through all layers of the dermis to possible sub-dermis.

James Shire, MD
Chattanooga Facial Plastic Surgeon

TCA peel to fade a tattoo

Thanks for your question. You have a professionally done tattoo, not an amateur tattoo. TCA solution effect will depend on the concentration. Light concentration TCA (10-20%) peel will do nothing. High concentration TCA will scar your skin, don't even think about it.

There is no good rationale for "waiting" to start the tattoo removal process for "months". Once the skin has completely healed from the tattoo process itself (usually within a week or two) you can begin removal. Laser tattoo removal is the only option that will get you what you need without scaring your skin. Also there is no topical cream available that will make a difference so don't waste your money on "Wrecking balm" or the like. 

Lisa Vuich, MD

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician

TCA Peel to Remove a Tattoo

No, a TCA peel will not help fade your tattoo. The ink is not on the surface of the skin, it is goes through all the layers of the dermis. The best way to remove a tattoo is with laser tattoo removal. 

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Second Thoughts on a Tattoo--Laser Tattoo Removal

No, I do not recommend doing a peel to try to lighten your tattoo. The best way to have this removed would be laser tattoo removal. I recommend getting a formal evaluation. It will take a series of treatments, but see an expert for best results. Best, Dr. Emer