Did I or my surgeon hurt my abdominal muscles after liposuction?

I had abdominal liposuction a week ago and last night as I was laying down I felt a sharp pain on the right side of my abdomen. It's felt like I pulled a muscle or something and now I have to careful not to stretch the right side of my abdomen or I get that pain again. Is this normal? Did I hurt myself? Did my doctor hurt me during the procedure?

Liposuction - muscle pain a week later

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • Liposuction can irritate the muscles -
  • The fat lies over the muscle which can be affected by the surgery.
  • You need to report your pain to your surgeon -
  • Chances are it is part of your normal healing process but without an exam, no one can know for sure.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Pain after Lipo

Thank you for your question. After liposuction there is a fair amount of swelling, which can cause the sensory nerves to your skin to not function properly. As the swelling goes down the nerves "wake up" and it is not unusual to have some sharp pains or discomfort. These will go away with time as you heal. Be sure to bring up your concerns with your PS at your next postoperative visit. Best, Dr. Kludt

Nathan Kludt, MD
Stockton Plastic Surgeon