What are the medical test and blood work needed from your doctor requirements before having lipo surgery?

Blood work prior to surgery

The blood work necessary really depends upon your overall medical condition. For women that are actively menstruating, the minimum would be a pregnancy test.  Best to ask your surgeon.

Liposuction and Blood Tests

We do a comprehensive workup with cardiology evaluation. I suggest you see an expert who does a full workup.  Best, Dr. Emer.

What are the medical tests required for surgery?

Thank you for your question. The labs requiered for surgery will vary from patient to patient. They will depend of factor like your age, medical history, surgical history among others. The most common exams requiered for younger patients without medical record are: Complete Blood Count (CBC), Prothrombin Time (PT), Partial Thromboplastin Time (PTT). Your chosen surgeon would be the person indicated to let you know which ones you will need. you definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety.  Best is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Don´t settle for less!

Liposuction - pre-operative testing

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • Pre-operative testing depends on your health, the extent of your surgery and your surgeon's concerns.
  • There is no set requirement for pre-operative testing but a blood count to be sure you are not anemic is a good idea.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Blood work before liposuction

Thank you for your question.  While there is no requirement for blood work before having liposuction, I advise and require my patients to get a CBC, CMP, PT/PTT prior to the procedure.  I recommend these tests to ensure that a patient is not anemic, has proper kidney and liver function and has proper clotting time/factors. Performing liposuction on a patient who might have an active infection is risky. While I perform my liposuction procedures safely with the Tumescent technique (local anesthetic), I believe all patients should have baseline blood work, 1 week prior to any surgery or liposuction. Best,
Dr. Ariel Ostad MD PCCosmetic Surgeon Cosmetic Dermatologist 

Ariel Ostad, MD

Pre Op Testing

The tests required before liposuction can be quite variable depending on your age and medical problems as well as the facility where the surgery is being performed. It is best to meet with your surgeon and he/she will betyter guide you what need to be done. Best wishes.

Medical tests prior to Liposuction

Thanks for your question. If you are generally healthy and have no medical issues, there are no specific tests required prior to liposuction. Make sure you disclose a complete health history to your plastic surgeon during your consultation so those issues can be fully addressed prior to you procedure.Good luck!

Brian Widenhouse, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question.  If you are an otherwise healthy individual there is no specific blood work needed for liposuction, but you may need to have other exams performed in order to ensure your safety, such as an X-ray or EKG.  Both your surgeon and anesthesiologist can help determine if you need any testing prior to your procedure.