Is it alright to take a normal shower (wash my hair, use regular soap) 5 days post lipo? (Photo)

Hello, I'm 5 days post lipo in my abdomen. I have 7 small incisions (2 lower abdomen, 2 lower back, 2 under my breasts and 1 mid upper back) a couple of the incisions seem a little red and feel kind of itchy, is this normal? I have been rinsing with just water in the shower the past 2 days and putting on neosporin and a band aid before I put on my compression garment. Is it alright to wash the incision sites? Is it okay to wash and condition my hair or is that going to make it more inflamed?

Liposuction - Post Op Shower

Thank you for your question.  You should be safe to shower and wash your hair five days following liposuction.  Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Bathing after liposuction

Did your surgeon provide you with verbal and written instructions on all aspects of your post-procedure care? Hopefully, the answer is yes. If you can't find the answer there, call the office to find out what your surgeon expects. For my patients, I allow a shower with regular skin cleanser or soap the next day. Regarding your sutures, please call your surgeon's office to report what you're experiencing. I don't suture my liposuction incisions because they're so small they heal without the need for sutures. As a dermatologic surgeon I don't use Neosporin for anything. Please contact your doctor's office to get specific advice about anything that doesn't seem right to you.

Kimberly Finder, MD
San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction - can I shower now?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction recovery.
  • For your own safety, it is best to get your post-operative instrucctions from your own surgeon.
  • If you were my patient, I would let you shower but I would want soap on the incisions - and I'd want to take the sutures out soon.
  • So call your surgeon's office and be sure they approve this approach.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FAC

If you were private patient I would have started you on normal daily washing by dat 2! Best to call your chosen operative surgeon to ask.......Sounds like you receive NO post op instructions???