How long after lipo on arms can I start lifting weights?

Exercise can be started 1 week after liposuction.

Recovery is fast and most patients are back to work in 2 days and back to the gym in 1 week after liposuction.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction - when can I lift weights?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • You need to discuss this with your surgeon -
  • In my patients, lifting weights can mean twenty pounds or 450 pounds.
  • Usually, I suggest my patients wait two full weeks, then try a session at a tenth of their usual -
  • If they usually lift 100 pounds for 30 minutes, they do 10 pounds for 3 minutes.
  • If this goes well, they can add another tenth - which gets them back to their full work out in 3 weeks.
  • As your surgeon if this is suitable for you.
  • The goal is to be sure it does not cause pain, swelling or a muscle injury by going back too early.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Weight Lifting and Liposuction

After hi def lipo I have patients waiting 3-4 weeks. I suggest seeing an expert for opinions.  Best, Dr. Emer.

How long after lipo can I start lifting weights

Thank you for your question.  Generally speaking 2 to 3 weeks is a good guideline for working out after liposuction.  That said every surgeon has his own protocol for his patients.  Your surgeon is the one who knows exactly what was done during your surgery and your health history so it is always best to check with your Dr.  
Best of luck,Dr. Hisham Seify

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Thank you for your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon. Every surgeon has their own specific post op protocol for their patients and your surgeon is the best resource when questions arise. They are most familiar with your medical history, details of your surgery, and how you are healing. In my office, liposuction patients can return to most activities as discomfort allows. Increasing activities may intermittently worsen their swelling, but this results with time. And arm liposuction patient could return to weightlifting after 2-3 weeks. Congratulations on your recent surgery.