Mentor vs. Natrelle Breast Implants

The only brand of breast implants I've heard of are Mentor.  Are these the best kind of breast implants to get and do lots of surgeons recommend them?

Are Mentor or Natrelle implants better?

Hi there-

It is my opinion that both implant manufacturers produce a consistently high quality product, evidenced by the outstanding warranty programs both offer.

Most often the choice of manufacturer for a surgeon comes down to what they are comfortable and familiar with... I have been using Mentor implants for years, and am extremely comfortable and familiar with the dimensions of the implants, so using them allows me to achieve predictably good results for my patients. I know and respect surgeons who feel as strongly that Natrelle is all they would use. I think the best way to think about this is to use the analogy of luxury cars- this is like asking if Mercedes or BMW is better... you will find some people on both sides of the fence, but the truth is they are both great cars.

Having said all of that, it is important to emphasize to you that the most important consideration in terms of maximizing your chances of getting the superior outcome you desire, and of minimizing your risk in general. is to choose your surgeon wisely. The old saying "it's the carpenter, not his tools" applies here- so don't worry as much about the implants- but be very careful who you let put them in.

Here is a bit more advice on choosing a surgeon:

Breast Implants Natrelle, Mentor and now Sientra - Find a plastic who has used them all

I strongly recommend selecting your surgeon based on training, experience and aesthetic sensibility rather than on the basis of which brand of breast implant they typically use.  In fact, best to find a plastic surgeon who has used all three brands. I have included a link to my gallery of nearly 250 breast augmentation before and after images. There are examples of each brand of breast implant. 

Take time doing research on your plastic surgeon. Excellent surgical training and lots and lots of consistent photos are a must.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Natrelle and Mentor are essentially the same

Natrelle and Mentor are both high quality manufacturers of breast implants. We can discuss the subtle differences in the shell but I feel that they are essentially the same. Once implanted no surgeon could tell which implant you have. The reason surgeons use one over the other is because of familiarity of the product, which one they used in thier training, and service provided by the company rep. You won't go wrong with either implant. The important thing is the surgeons skill at breast augmentation.

Irvin M. Wiesman, MD

Breast implant manufacturers

There are two different manufacturers in the United States whose silicone breast implants have been approved for use with conditions by the Federal Food and Drug Administration. These are Mentor and Allergan.

Silicone implants were approved with conditions in November of 2006. The FDA stated that plastic surgeons could place silicone breast implants in women over 22 for aesthetic breast augmentation, and in women of any age for breast reconstruction. That being said, the FDA mandates device tracking for all silicone implants, MRI follow up at regular intervals to assess for shell integrity, and an informed consent process that includes the patient in risk/benefit/tradeoff evaluation and decision-making. These are all positive things, and both companies strive to abide by the FDA guidelines.

I have used both Mentor and Allergan breast implants quite extensively and have experienced top notch customer service and outcomes with silicone breast implants regardless of which of the two manufacturers it was purchased from.

I think the main issue a BA patient should focus on is doing their research and going to a well-qualified, board certified plastic surgeon who does a large volume of quality breast augmentation surgeries in order to optimize their outcome and final result.

Mentor vs Natrelle

Mentor and Natrelle are both excellent implants. These are the only 2 implants companies which  are available in North America. They are both approved by the FDA and Health and Welfare Canada. We use both of these implants in our practice. These two companies have almost identical warranties. The implants have no significant differences in performance and longevity. However the implants have other differences which in some cases make them significantly different from each other. This means that in some patients, one of these implants may be preferable to another in a specific patients case. Consultation with your plastic surgeon will help you decide which implant is best for you.

Mentor vs. Natrelle Breast Implants. Should I prefer one over the other?

Both of these companies produce well-tested, highly respected products with long track records in the United States. As competitors they like to emphasize different statistics with regard to their longevity, failure rates and degree to which gel can microscopically migrate across the shell.  From a practical standpoint I have never been able to find a difference between them that matters, so I use both. It is helpful to have both as options because the sizes differ slightly.  For example, if using Allergan Natrelle gel implants in moderate profile, the size increments are 234 cc, 265 cc, 284 cc, 304 cc. Mentor’s comparable implants are sized 225, 250, 275 and 304 cc’s. There are similar differences for saline implants.

In my opinion, both implant manufacturers produce implants that are perfectly acceptable for their intended use.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Which brand of implants is best

Allergan and Mentor are the two manufacturers of impalnts approved by the FDA for use in this country. I have used both and have no issues with either. Both are excellent and well made. You can't go wrong with either. My suggestion si to select the PS yo ufeel most comfortable with, then use whatever brand implant he is most comfortable.

Mark D. Epstein, MD
Stony Brook Plastic Surgeon

Mentor and Natrelle

Mentor and Allergan (who make Natrelle implants) are the two companies that manufacture silicone breast implants in the US. Both are approved by the FDA for breast augmentation and reconstruction.

The choice between the two is usually determined by which company your surgeon works with more. For myself, I find that Mentor provides more patient education materials and therefore I tend to use their implants more often. However, there is very little difference between the two implants and their safety profiles are very similar.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Mentor or Natrelle Implants

Mentor and Allergan both offer good Breast implants. Having been in practice many years I have used both. the main difference is the service that the reps offer the surgeon. That is what makes us switch from one company to the other. The products are other wise the same for smooth implants. For texture implants, there is a difference in the texturing process which make a difference in tissue adherence.

Mentor and Nattrelle breast implants are FDA approved

Mentor and Natrelle (or Allergan) breast implants are the only implants which are FDA approved. I believe Natrelle was previously called Inamed.

In my opinion, the Mentor implants may feel more natural, since the shell covering is thinner than Natrelle. I have used both implants and the Natrelle shell is much thicker than Mentor. The difference may be more noticeable with saline filled implants than silicone implants.

My recommendation is to consult with surgeons who use either one or both. Feel the implants and take notes, if needed. You can then make a better decision as to which one YOU prefer.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon