Can getting Botox only once a year prevent wrinkles developing?

I'm in my early twenties and already have some wrinkles that are visible at rest. They bother me because I'm so young and feel I shouldn't already have lines. I have just gotten my second treatment of Botox a year after the first treatment. I'm hoping getting Botox about once a year will help prevent how quickly the lines develop. Am I wasting money doing it infrequently? Should I may as well not do it at all? I'm tossing up whether to not bother at all or to commit and get it done regularly.

Botox

Hello and thank you for your question. Botox is a great way to slow the process of forming wrinkles. Ideally it is suggested to do botox every 3-4 months, but it is great to do botox once a year than none at all. I wish you the best of luck.

Botox

I would suggest doing your Botox every 4 months if your goal is to prevent wrinkles.  It is still worth it if you only do it once a year.  It will help.

Jessica Lattman, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Preventive Botox

Thank you for your question volare_. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. Most people enjoy the results of a Botox treatment for 3-4 months. Botox can also be used for prevention. If Botox is done once per year, the prevention will be one quarter (3/12) to one third (4/12) as effective. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations.  Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Botox frequency

Doing botox once a year is better than not doing it at all but in my experience doing it every 3-4 months is better.  The more frequent you do it the less botox you need and the less frequent the visits.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Botox or preventing wrinkles

Hello, and thanks for your question. The short answer is doing it intermittently is probably better than not doing it at all, but not as good as maintaining it every 3-4 months. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.  

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Annual BOTOX® injections can have a minor impact on wrinkle prevention.

If minimizing the development or expression of wrinkles is your goal, then some BOTOX® is better than no BOTOX®. BOTOX® works by temporarily halting the muscles that create dynamic wrinkles in the upper face, so any time you get a BOTOX® injection you’re helping to diminish the expression of wrinkles. People who get BOTOX® from a licensed injector every 3 to 4 months experience the most optimal results. You’re certainly not wasting your money by getting BOTOX® once a year, but you’ll multiply the anti-aging effect of BOTOX® by investing in it 3 to 4 times a year.

Gordon Andan, MD
New York General Surgeon

Botox Maintenance

Thank you very much for your question. Yes, Botox injections can halt the development of fine lines and wrinkles. By temporarily weakening targeted muscles, the tissues will relax, smoothing lines and preventing deeper, dynamic wrinkles (caused by repetitive expressions) from forming. On average, the results from Botox will last from three to four months, at which time a repeat session is recommended. Yearly Botox injections will help in the prevention of wrinkles, although not as effectively as a maintenance treatment every three to four months. 

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Thanks for your question and we always recommend that you see a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon to make sure that you are getting the most proper care and treatments.  Botox is wonderful for treating lines and wrinkles and we know from the medical literature that repeat injections can, indeed, slow the development of more and more wrinkles as we age.  One thing that is equally important is the proper use of skin care and sunscreens – which should be done each and every day.  So Botox once a year or more as needed, and daily skin care = a good routine for you.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Some Botox Better Than None

Botox once a year will slow the progress of wrinkles, but not halt it. You need to retreat the area every three to four months to keep the muscles from reinforcing the wrinkles. It's not a waste to do it infrequently. However, as your finances allow, you can add in more sessions to keep your skin looking youthful and smooth. Consult with a board-certified dermatologist to come up with a plan that works best for you.

Botox Once Per Year

Botox is a great way to keep wrinkles from becoming permanently etched in the skin and it's best to get repeat treatments every 3-4 months. At best, I recommend coming twice per year for treatment but yearly treatments will certainly be better than never getting Botox. I wouldn't consider it a waste but would recommend at least twice per year if possible. Thanks.

Scott K. Thompson, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon