Will botox help soften my jawline? (photo)

Am I just self concious or do I actually have a prominent jawline? I have daytime jaw clenching problem. Will getting botox injection in my jaw muscle reduce my jawline to make it softer looking?

Botox for the jawline

The short answer is yes.  Botox to the masseter muscles (large chewing muscles) will help "soften" your jawline and make it look less angular on the sides.  It will also help with the pain from clenching, but occasionally I find that I'll need to treat the temples with a little Botox for clenching if treating the masseters doesn't completely do the trick.Find an injector that has experience in this area - most injectors don't do many injections in the lower face.

Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Botox and jawline contouring

First off, you have a beautiful facial features and I believe less is more for you when it comes to cosmetic treatments. That being said, based on your photo, there does appear to be the suggest of prominent or bulky masseters which could be treated with Botox injection. Botox injection into the masseter muscles will result in muscle atrophy and slimming of lower face. See an experienced injector for an in-person evaluation.

Botox for facial contouring

Hello, and thanks for your question and photo. From the photo it appears as though your masseters (chewing muscles) are hypertrophic (larger due to use), and this is making your face look more square. The size of this muscle can be reduced with regular injection of Botox. The most common side effect is some soreness after the injection that typically resolves in a few days. Some individuals also find they get "chewing fatigue," but I have not seen this become such an issue that it affected their ability to eat. In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with a well-trained dermatologist or plastic surgeon. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.    

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Will botox help soften my jawline?

Thank you for your question and photograph.  If the width and sharpness of the angle of your jaw is due to your masseter muscle,  treatment with Botox can help atrophy the muscle, slimming your face and softening the jawline.  An added benefit is that wearing of the muscle can help with your jaw clenching as well.  See an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon in consultation, they can offer you the best treatment recommendations.

Botox for the masseter

Thank you for your question connie1990. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. In the lower face Botox can be placed in the masseter muscle to decrease the size of the muscle and contour the face. It may take multiple treatments to achieve desired results. Botox can also be placed just under the jawline to relax the platysma muscle which pulls down on the lower face; this can provide a subtle lift and is called the Nefertiti lift. Voluma can also be used in the upper cheeks to enhance the cheeks. All of these treatments will provide for more of a heart shaped face. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations.  Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Botox for facial contouring

Botox placed in the masseter muscle can yield a nice slimming effect of the lower face.  It may help with your jaw clenching as well.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Botox and masseters

If your master muscle is large, then repeated use of botox may help thin them.  I tell my patients that it can take more than one treatment to see the results because the muscle has to atrophy a bit and this does not happen overnight.

Enlarged masseters can be treated with Botox

I think that it will help slim the face with Botox injections of the masseters. It will decrease the clinching you do as well. The treatments will last about 4 months. You need to go to an expert injector because sometimes the smile is changed if it is not properly administered.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Botox in Massetter muscles

Thanks for your question. Based on your photos, Botox may help soften your jawline. While I do see the area you may want addressed, I also would note that your issue is very minor and you may want to think about it before getting it done. Either way, Botox will wear off in 3-4 months without out any lasting effects. Good luck!

Satyen Undavia, MD
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon