Can a Medical Assistant Administer Sclerotherapy?

Doctor Answers 15

Sclerotherapy by a Medical Assistant

Depending upon the laws for specific states, medical assistants are allowed to do any procedure that their supervising physician feel they are capable of doing. In fact, some medical assistants can be quite experienced in this procedure and may do a better job than a physician who is not as skilled. In my office all sclerotherapy injections are done by a physician with greater than 25 years' experience. I recommend making sure you choose a very experienced injector.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 10 reviews


While the use of Medical Assistants has increased in doing some procedures, sclerotherapy, Fillers, Botox etc.

I believe these are invasive medical procedures that the physician needs to evaluate and treat.

If your physician is too busy then find someone that can spend the time and establish a physician patient relationship.

Samir Shureih, MD
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

Medical Assistant performing Sclerotherapy

I recommend checking with your state laws as to whether this falls under the MAs practice guidelines and I would highly encourage the MA to follow the letter of the law.

David V. Poole, MD
Altamonte Springs Plastic Surgeon
4.0 out of 5 stars 13 reviews


While the laws vary by state, MAs are often allowed to preform minor procedures as the do them under the supervision of the physician.  This may be direct (him in room) or via in office training and achievement of competency as deemed by the physician.

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon
4.0 out of 5 stars 22 reviews

Can medical assistant administer sclerotherapy?

Only doctors, trained PAs and NPs may administer Sclerotherapy.  It is important that you make sure that the doctor is trained and knows how to use the product appropriately.

Victoria Karlinsky, MD
Manhattan General Surgeon
4.0 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Depends on state regulations.

Medical assistants are, in the current medical atmosphere, doing more and more medical procedures.  Each state had regulations as to who can do what.  Medical assistants consists of physician assistants, nurse PA's, nurses and medical technicians.  All of them need to work under a physician's supervision. If you to have sclerotherapy done by a medical assistant then you should inquire about their training and experience.  If you are uncomfortable with them then ask for treatment by the doctor.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 5 reviews

Choosing a vein specialist for sclerotherapy

I would recommend a board certified surgeon who is a diplomate of the American Board of Phlebology (Vein Surgery).

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 85 reviews

Medical Assistants and Invasive Procedures

I recommend that since you are paying 'physician rates' to get a procedure like sclerotherapy, that you stick with a Board Certified physician, nurse practitioner or physician assistant. Having said that, each State has its own rules.

The law varies by state, but I would not recommend

The law varies by state, but I would not recommend as sclerotherapy is a more advanced procedure than it may appear, and if you go to a board-certified dermatologist you are more likely to have complete clearance in fewer sessions.

Brian Dubow, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon

Just because MAs can inject, doesn't mean they should!

Every state is a little different in terms of the scope of practice medical assistants may perform.  In the state of California, MAs can administer medications such as simple injections, oral, and inhaled medicines-- this must be done after verification by a physician.  They are not allowed to inject  products such as collagen- because these are highly specialized procedures.  

In some states, MAs may be allowed to do sclerotherapy, but just because they can inject, it doesn't mean they should!  When properly done, sclerotherapy is safe and effective.  But complications can arise including skin ulcers, blood clots, dark pigmentation, etc.  In my practice I train many physicians how to do proper sclerotherapy.  While it may look easy, it is really harder than it looks-- specific techniques, concentrations, etc are important to maximize results and minimize side effects.

Don't skim on costs by going to an MA.  See a vein specialist who will do the treatment themselves.

Margaret Mann, MD
Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1 review

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.