Diastasis recti repair, I wonder why my belly does not look flat, this is normal? (Photo)

I had some lipo, and diastasis recti repair, my belly button was preserved by umbilical flotation procedure. I'm happy about it, its normal that my belly doesn't look flat, also my waits line irs not even, its ok to use a light book inside my garment? I seat for long hours I front of my desk. Any suggestions? Thank you

Flat tummy

Your result looks pretty good to me.

The rectus tightening will not replace holding in your tummy with your muscles, or core strength.

If by your waist line you mean the narrowest part in the outline of your torso from the front, it is not unusual to have this be different due to differences in your skeleton from side to side and top to bottom.  It does not come from your surgery, generally speaking.

Did you have a mini abdominoplasty too that resulted in the "float" of you belly button?  That is what I am guessing.

You still look early after surgery.  Let the healing progress and talk about what expectations are in line with the surgery that you had at your next visit with your surgeon.

Don't put a book inside your compression garment.  It could harm the skin, leave a funny dent in your tissues and it will not make your stomach flatten.

Worcester Plastic Surgeon

No evidence of any problems after liposuction and diastasis repair.

From the photographs provided it looks as though you doing pretty well. There will be a slight contour change halfway between the navel in the pubic area due to the anatomy of the musculature of the abdominal wall. This is very subtle and I think you're on your way to an excellent result.

Diastasis repair - my stomach is not flat!

Thank you for asking about your diastasis repair.

• You are still swollen  - it will take at least 6 months to see your final result.
  • Please do not put anything under your compression garment -
  • The book or any other object will not improve your final result.
  • If you cannot reach your surgeon by phone, contact the office and ask to speak to his nurse or ask to be given his email so your questions can be answered.
  • Your surgical fee includes your post-operative care -
  • Surgeons have a legal duty to provide it. 
  • That said, going out of state although common does make recovery a more anxious time.
  • So contact with your surgeon is important.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Liposuction and Diastasis Recti Repair

I would not recommend putting any object (solid or otherwise) inside of your compression garment.  It appears as though you are very early on in your recovery and healing process and, therefore, you should expect to have some swelling and uneven contours for a couple of months.  I would discuss your concerns with your operating surgeon and allow some more time to heal and then re-evaluate your results.  Best of luck!

Liposuction and mini-tuck

If you recently had surgery, then you are likely swollen.  Best to give it more time to heal and then re-evalaute.  

Liposuction -

Thank you for your question and photo. You appear to be very early in the recovery process and already have an improved contour. It typically takes   3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and to see your final result. The belly button takes a little longer to settle with the float technique. Please follow your surgeons specific post-operative instructions regarding activity level and use of compression garments. I would not recommend placing a book inside your compression garment. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck with your recovery.

My belly doesn't look flat after surgery

It looks like your surgery was fairly recent, and therefore you should expect swelling and possibly unevenness of the abdominal contour for a few months. I wouldn't recommend using a book or any solid object under your compression garment. But I would advocate that you bring your concerns to the attention of your surgeon, as there may be something more your surgeon or you can do to optimize your results.

Bryan C. McIntosh, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon