Heartburn and tenderness in one breast three weeks post surgery? (photos)

I'm 3 weeks + 3 days post BA. When I sleep on my right side I get horrible pain in my breast. If I roll over, it goes away. Bad heartburn this week, woke up last night with diarrhea. Was due to start my period the week of surgery, it never came. My doctor said surgery would likely trigger period, so I wasn't worried, but my body is like clockwork and I'm 24 days out from my surgery and still no period. If I push on the right side of my right breast it's quite tender. Two neg preg tests. Advice?

Post-Op Heartburn and Tenderness

HEALING OF SENSORY NERVES: Tingling, burning or shooting pains, which will disappear with time and should not alarm you, indicate regeneration of the sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage helps.

Always contact your plastic surgeon if you have concerns about post-operative infection, bleeding, swelling, fever, excessive bruising, or any new and sudden changes in the feeling or look of your implants, breasts or incisions.

Any of the following may be post-op difficulties, about which it is best to contact your surgeon directly:

·       Excessive bleeding (hematoma) and bruising

·       Reduced sensation of #nipple

·       Deflation/rupture

·       Capsular contracture

·       Wrinkling/rippling. Palpable and/or visible

·       Firmness, and distorted appearance

·       Interference with breast feeding

·       Mammogram interference

·       Cost for revision surgery if necessary

·       Calcium deposits in the tissue around the implant

·       Breast tissue atrophy/chest wall deformity

·       Hypertrophic scarring

·       Tissue loss

·       Infection requiring antibiotics or implant removal

Healing will go on for 2-3 months for the early period.  There may be some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences.   Sensation will be abnormal.  Scars will be changing. If my patients have concerns that something is unusual about their healing process, it is important for them to call the office and discuss these concerns or come in to be examined.

Breast augmentation recovery

The tenderness on your right breast is likely due to normal healing.  It is common for one breast to heal differently than the other.  The tenderness should subside as you progress through recovery.  As for the pregnancy tests, I would recommend visiting your primary care doctor or OB/gyn for a blood pregnancy test.  Though the store bought tests have high accuracy rates, it is better to be sure.  

Camille Cash, MD