Liquid in breast after BA?

I feel liquid and bubbles inside my right breast and I had my BA 5 months ago and my upper back and neck have hurt ever since. my surgeon says I should have an ultrasound to double check if I have liquid inside or not and he says if there is liquid it can be drained with a neddle and surgery is not needed. Is that safe? I'm extremely worried

Liquid

Your surgeon's advice is spot on and I would follow that. He or she may feel you have a small collection of fluid or seroma which has yet to resorb after surgery

Fluid/ Bubbles

I would agree that your back & neck discomfort are likely unrelated to the air or liquid you feel. An ultrasound would be a good first step.

All the best 

Likely unrelated

your neck and back pain is likely unrelated to bubbles or a fluid collection, it is probably related to the increased weight you placed on your chest if you have large implants that your neck and back are now adjusting to. A U/S would help guide a decision to drain some fluid from the breast if indeed there is some. 

Bubbles and fluid in pocket

Your new onset pain is most likely not related at all to the bubbles and fluid collection if in fact they are present.  More likely, your back is adjusting to the weight of your new implants, especially if you went large size.  I agree with the ultrasound, and you should not worry about the implants if the aspiration is done skillfully.  Just make sure whoever is tapping the fluid has a great reputation. 

Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Fluid around breast implant and back/neck pain

I would definitely recommend you get an ultrasound, but unless there is a large amount of fluid, I would not necessarily recommend you drain it because of the chance of puncturing the implant (although the risk is small in experienced hands).  The reason I say to consider not getting the fluid drained is because I doubt it's related to your back and neck pain.  You may want to seek a chiropractor or physical therapist to address your pain issues.  Talk to your PS about your pain and if other opinions are warranted.

Fluid in breast

If there is a pocket of fluid detected in the breast the surgeon can use an ultrasound guided technique to target the fluid pocket and drain it.  There is a small risk of puncturing the implant during this process, but an experienced surgeon will be able to handle this procedure without incident.  The first step though is determining if you do in fact have a pocket of fluid, which is why the ultrasound is needed.

Camille Cash, MD