Can Kybella be used to treat uneven results after liposuction or coolsculpting on the abdomen? (photo)

What would be a better way to correct the indentations? Fat graft or fat dissolving?

Doctor Answers 9


Thank you for your question. SculpSure is the best option to dissolve fat in the tummy and flanks. It is the only FDA approved laser that can eliminate up to 25% of subcutaneous fat in a short 25-minute in-office treatment. I suggest that you move forward and consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Best wishes,

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 121 reviews

Indentation on the abdomen

Thank you for your question Kiki 2017. Kybella is the first and thus-far only FDA-approved non-surgical injectable treatment for the double chin. Indentations can sometimes occur after Cool Sculpting or surgery. These are best treated with some form of skin tightening treatment or other modality such as Sculp Sure of radiofrequency.

Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

Can Kybella be used to treat uneven results after liposuction or coolsculpting on the abdomen?

Kybella® deoxycholate fat-melting injections can be used off-label on various fat deposits all over the body. Since it works beautifully on smaller well-defined fat deposits that persist after other larger fat reduction procedures.

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist
4.6 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

Kybella only for under chin

Kybella is only FDA approved for treating submental fat under the chin. Any other use would be considered off label. Based on your photo, you look as if you'd benefit from fat grafting. Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss. 


Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 35 reviews

Kybella and Body

Kybella is only FDA approved for submental fat.  It is not approved for areas in the body. It looks from the photo that you have a depression that may need fat grafting.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist to assess the area.  Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD
New York Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 78 reviews


Not only is it not FDA approved for the abdomen(we use lots of medications off label in medicine, but can be controversial), but you need the "dent" filled back in with some fat grafting likely in addition to some fat equalization in the areas adjacent to the dent. 


Based on the photo you submitted, I would suggest fat grafting to the depressed area around your umbilicus.

John L. Burns Jr., MD
Dallas Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 45 reviews

Smoothing Irregularities with Coolsculpting/Vanquish, Exilis Ultra, Venus Legacy

I would recommend a combination approach for irregularities including: coolsculpting/vanquish for further fat removal, exilis/venus legacy for skin tightening, cellutone/z wave to make the skin smooth, remove scar tissue, and improve the skin's appearance. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 196 reviews

Treating uneven abdominal fat

Thanks for your question. Kybella is not approved for use in that region, and even if it was it would require so much product and multiple sessions and so would not make sense from a cost perspective. We have successfully treated unevenness like this post liposuction or post CoolSculpt with the SculpSure laser for permanent fat cell destruction.


Lisa Vuich, MD

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician
4.7 out of 5 stars 11 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.