Is it possible that the swelling from Kybella can actually stay forever and make your chin worse than before you did it ?

I just did my first kybella treatment yesterday. I'm extremely swollen and would like to know approximately how long this lasts? I'm scared that I'll be stuck with this swelling forever! Has there ever been any cases where kybella actually made the patient worse? Please help I'm freaking out

Swelling after Kybella

I have not heard of any cases of permanent swelling after Kybella.  I have had Kybella treatment myself, so I know about that swelling in the first day.  My receptionist had Kybella and said she felt "like a pelican with a fish".  But the swelling peaks by the third day, and a sense of humor gets you through.  I was back in the operating room 3 days after my treatment, and no one noticed.  I noticed that in myself and in my patients it takes 3-4 weeks to return to "baseline" or where you started, and then you will notice the area continuing to shrink and improve for 3-4 months.  So don't panic.  But don't hesitate to call your treating physician and even pop in for a quick visit if you need reassurance.  

Kybella

Thank you for your question. Swelling, redness and bruising are minor side effects that subside within a few days. Your post-procedural experience is very common. Please remain patient and follow your surgeon's recovery instructions diligently. Always consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella Swelling

Sorry to hear of your concerns. The swelling is not permanent. The swelling can last 1-2 weeks and is expected after your kybella injections. You will go through different phases after kybella. Initially the swelling, the area will remain numb for 1-4 weeks, you may notice the area jiggle, then you may feel small nodules in the area. Most patients need between 2-4 treatments for optimal results. Get through the swelling, and then you can enjoy your results! Best, Dr Faraz

Post op swelling

Although it is incredibly common to experience post op swelling following your Kybella injection, it is not permanent. Nor will your chin wind up looking worse than it did before you started. Although each patient heals at his or her own rate, the swelling typically resolves within 2 to 6 weeks. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Kybella and Results

Kybella is a fabulous injection which has permanent results in terms of reducing submental fat.  It does make you swollen temporarily which is part of the process.  It does not make the fat worse.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Kybella bullfrog neck just temporary

Your physician should have pre-warned you. The bullfrog neck swelling is expected and normal. It can be disconcerting if you didn't expect it. 

Swelling subsides - along with any bruising - over a week or a bit longer. Drink lots of water and treat your neck tenderly. 

Rebecca Fitzgerald, MD

Post Kybella swelling

It is 100% expected for there to be swelling  under your chin after Kybella. Everyone swells to different amounts. After Kybella treatment, in addition to the pocket of submental (under the chin) fat, you now have the kybella fluid and swelling from your body's response to it. This is completely normal and lasts anywhere from a few days to a week or two. I have NEVER seen permanent increase in size in the area, and have done a lot of Kybella, and always there is some if not drastic improvement in how small the area becomes. I would recommend speaking with your physician about your concerns in the meantime. I hope this helps!

Lesley Rabach, MD

Swellng following Kybella

Swelling is a normal outcome following a Kybella injection. The fat is broken down and it creates inflammation.In my experience it takes four to six weeks before the swelling completely resolves- so be patient.I have not seen any patients have residual swelling but I have seen continued improvement in the appearance of their neck contour even after three months. Therefore, in some patients it may take several months before all the devitalized fat to be resorbed by the body. 

Joel E. Kopelman, MD, FACS
Ridgewood Oculoplastic Surgeon

Kybella Results, Worse then Before?

Swelling can lead to scarring so it is possible to get a "worse" outcome from kybella theoretically I have just never seen it.  RF treatments, ultrasound and massage all should be used post kybella to reduce swelling.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Kybella swelling is temporary

Hi There. The swelling with Kybella is variable, ranging from mild to severe (think bull-frog!). But it is temporary. I tell my patients that most people get back to about where they started in about a week and a half to two weeks. After that, the area keeps slowly reducing down with less fat and a more defined jaw line. The first treatment is the least satisfying-- at 6 weeks after the first treatment, the area usually looks only slightly improved. The more dramatic results are seen after the subsequent treatments. Most people need 2 or 3 treatments, sometimes even 4.  Hang in there-- it will resolve!

Katherine Dee, MD
Seattle Physician