Is marcaine injected helpful for Post-op Pain?

A few surgeons I've consulted with injected marcaine into rectus muscles during plication for post op pain. Is it as effective as exparel and how long does it provide the numbing pain relief?

Exparel is Slow Released Marcaine

Essentially Exparel is a very long-acting slow released Marcaine. Marcaine by itself lasts up to 6 hours whereas Exparel  lasts approximately 3 or more days following injection. This is the same length of time that a pain pump lasts and will therefore take the place of a pain pump. This means patients can enjoy the same effect of a pain pump, but without any catheters and no pain pump to carry around.
Exparel will be available for those concerned about minimizing discomfort after surgeries such as tummy tuck and breast augmentation.
Exparel costs the same as a pain pump and produces the same result but with less hassle.

Injecting marcaine post tt

I do not feel it is as effective as the usage of exparel or a pain pump. I like the pain pump as it drips marcaine solution for 3 days postoperatively. I have found this very helpful, and more so than when I used to inject marcaine at the end of the procedure.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Marcaine for postop discomfort

Injecting Marcaine is a routine part of my tummy tuck procedures.  For those patients willing to pay the extra cost, I strongly recommend the use of Exparel.  I believe this can be very helpful in reducing postop pain.  For all other patients I inject Marcaine with epinephrine.  This is also helpful but will lose its effectiveness much more quickly following surgery than Exparel.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon