How effective is laser skin tightening for the belly. (Post baby belly pooch)

I'm considering tummy tuck in the future, but dread the scar. Would laser skin resurfacing be just as efficient if I have minimal baby pooch skin? Also, how soon after a pregnancy can I get this done?

Can I just have laser?

Without any pictures I can't evaluate whether or not you'd be a good candidate for laser over tummy tuck. I can say however, that skin resurfacing wont do anything for fat and excess skin. Your options would likely be laser assisted liposuction that has the option for skin tightening internally once the fat has been melted and aspirated or a 'mini' tummy tuck without muscle repair or a full tummy tuck with muscle repair. The choices are usually thoroughly discussed at a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon and then decided upon by you, the patient. 

Thank you for your question and good luck!

Melinda Lacerna, MD FACS

SculpSure

Thank you for your question. I suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon and consider SculpSure. SculpSure is a laser treatment that can melt up to 25% of unwanted belly fat in a simple, comfortable, 25-minute in-office treatment with no recovery time.  

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser vs surgery

Need pictures and your expectations to guide you. If you have mild laxity, non-surgical options such as Thermage can give you a mild to moderate improvement. 

If you have moderate laxity, its surgical. Lasers have their limitations, especially in areas off the face. 

All the best

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser Dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Skin tightening would laser

Thank you for your question. Without pictures it is impossible to tell, but if you have significant loose skin and sagging in abdomen a tummy tuck is the best option, although associated with at least 2-3 weeks of serious down time and pain. Laser resurfacing creates only mild skin tightening, and is mostly use in the face for this purpose. For post baby belly pooch, if you decide not to have surgery, the best options are: liposuction with the device such a smart lipo that tightens the skin while removing the fat, or for less invasive options you can try skin tightening procedures such as thermi tight, Exillis, or the new sculpture, which results in not only loss of fat beneath the skin but noticeable skin tightening. Best of luck!

Neda Vanden Bosch, MD
West Palm Beach Physician

Tummy tightening

Without a photo, I can't say for certain what would be best, but there is no substitute for a tummy tuck when you have excess skin. However, a laser and fat reduction can help when you have a relatively small problem. Excess fullness / fat can be treated with CoolSculpt. At Quintessa, we have found that the Halo laser can do a pretty impressive job of tightening the skin of the hands, arms, knees, and the abdomen, so it might help with your condition.

Regarding pregnancy, we would want to see your shape and weight be stable prior to any treatment.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.
Facial Plastic Surgeon
Quintssa

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sagging Skin On Stomach -- Thermage, ThermiRF, Venus Legacy/Velashape, VASER Hi Def Liposuction

I suggest posting photos for further evaluation. Noninvasive skin tightening such as radiofrequency (venus, velashape, thermage, thermi), and ultrasound (ultherapy) can give improvement. If you want a really cut and defined body you will need VASER hi def with tummy tuck/skin removal. I suggest you see an expert for an evaluation who is well trained in this type of procedure. Best, Dr. Emer.

Laser Tightening for the belly

It would be best to go in for a consult to determine which procedure would be best. If it is excess fat then, Coolsculpting would be a good option for you.If it is skin laxity then Thermage of the abdomen would be a good option. Thermage is a radio frequency technology that uses bulk heating to stimulate collagen remodeling for firmer tighter skin. It would be best to go in for a consult with a board certified dermatologist or palstic surgeon who does both procedure to see if you would be a good candidate and which procedure is best for you. 

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist

Laser tightening for belly

You have to be evaluated to see if it is fat or skin.  If fat, you can have that removed with either Sculpsure of Cool sculpting.  If skin, you can try some of the skin lasers, but their effect has not been proven and it is definitely off label use in this area.  Ulthera may give some tightening.  It is pretty uncomfortable in the abdomen but may tighten the skin. 

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Loose skin post pregnancy

Thanks for your question. Laser Skin Resurfacing is more of a surface smoothing proceedure. You would be better off looking into true skin tightening such as PelleFirm or Viora (both use radiofrequency). Ultherapy is also done on this region (off label). We have also seen nice tightening of the skin with our SculpSure Laser treatments which destroys fat cells but the heat also results in tightening of the region as a secondary benefit.
Lisa Vuich, MD

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician