Can I sleep on my side after Breast Reduction surgery?

Sleeping on side

Dear Abena38,

I recommend that my patients sleep with their head elevated to help with swelling. However, it is best to follow the guidelines of your operating surgeon.

Breast reduction: Can I sleep on my side afterwards?

It's always best to check on your surgeon's protocol. I advise my patients that they may sleep in any position they wish after breast reduction surgery. No harm should come to your surgery because of your sleep position. Hope this information is helpful. Good luck to you. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths." Good luck to you. 

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping on your side after breast reduction

I typically advise my patients to sleep semi upright on their back to help with post operative swelling.  When it is more comfortable they can transition to sleeping on their side.  Your plastic surgeon will probably have their own recommendations that I would follow as they have the best idea for your healing progress.

Best Dr. L

Andre Levesque, MD

Breast reduction and sleep

I prefer patients to sleep on their back initially. I let them sleep on their sides when they feel comfortable. Best to ask your doc.

Yes, at some point, you will be able sleep on your side;  this time frame is best discussed with your plastic surgeon who knows how you are progressing and is ultimately responsible for your care. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.