What is thought about the treatment (removal) of forehead lipomas/cysts with Kybella?

I have two lypomas or cysts on my forehead. I understand that if Kybella is used I will not know if they are actually cysts or lypomas. Understanding this risk, I am curious what is thought about the effectiveness of Kybella as a method of treatment. Thank you!

Kybella and Cysts/Lipomas

Kybella is only FDA approved for treating submental fat and is not for these other areas.  You run the risk of having a depression or skin ischemic event if used off-label.  Best, Dr. Green

Cyst vs Lipoma

Epidermoid cysts would be more common on the forehead - especially if you don't have lipomas elsewhere on your body. Differentiating between the 2 can usually be determined by physical exam alone. Kybella wouldn't help it the lesion were cystic, and may be damaging. I also agree with the other authors that using Kybella in the forehead might result in contour change or nerve damage. If I were considering this treatment I would start with very small amounts, if at all. 

Derek Norcom, MD
Portland Physician

Thank you for sharing your question. Unfortunately Kybella is not approved for use in lipomas and though physicians are using it for other off-label purposes, I would be concerned about placing Kybella into the forehead resulting in dissolving more fat than anticipated and a contour irregularity.  Most lipomas can be removed surgically with a well-hidden scar that patients tolerate well.  Hope this helps.

Can lipomas be treated with Kybella?

This is an excellent questions. First, Kybella is not FDA approved for treating anything other than submental fat.However, theoretically lipomas of the forehead could potentially be treated but there is a possibility that the Kybella could diffuse outside the treatment zone and injure a branch of the facial nerve. Depending upon the location of the lipomas you may end up with a drooped brow secondary to facial nerve injury.

Joel E. Kopelman, MD, FACS
Ridgewood Oculoplastic Surgeon

Forehead Lipomas

If the lesions are in fact lipomas in your forehead, you would expect Kybella to decrease the size of the lesions.  What is unclear is by how much and what the cosmetic result would be.  What I have been doing for the forehead lipomas is making an incision in your hairline and using a scope to visualize the lipoma from underneath the skin and remove it that way.  This way the lipoma is removed entirely and there isn't a forehead scar.  

All the best!

Babar Sultan, MD
Towson Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella only approved for submental fat

Kybella is only FDA approved for treating submental fat. It is would be considered off label for treating your lypomas and not something that I would recommend. It could results in a depression. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Kybella for cysts or lipomas - an interesting topic

Kybella is a fat-targeting treatment, which means that it would not be helpful for treating cysts which have a strong lining and are filled with what is essentially protein.  In theory, however, Kybella could be used to treat lipomas.  It is not FDA-approved for the treatment of lipomas, and the majority of Dermatologists would not consider Kybella for this purpose.  This could change in the future as we expand our use of Kybella for other purposes, but at this time I would not recommend it.

Jill C. Fichtel, MD
Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella

Kybella has not been tested on lipomas, but it should have some effect.  Forehead lipomas are deep under the galea layer where the nerves are safely above.  You would get eye swelling as any swelling would go downhill. Small doses only would be needed, but a full vial would need to be opened.  Perhaps if you need a vial elsewhere, a small dose could be used as a trial.  This would be an unapproved off label use, and not something that physicians would have experience treating.

Kybella would not help a cyst (epidermoid cyst or wen).