What is thought about the treatment (removal) of forehead lipomas/cysts with Kybella?

I have two lypomas or cysts on my forehead. I understand that if Kybella is used I will not know if they are actually cysts or lypomas. Understanding this risk, I am curious what is thought about the effectiveness of Kybella as a method of treatment. Thank you!

Cyst vs Lipoma

Epidermoid cysts would be more common on the forehead - especially if you don't have lipomas elsewhere on your body. Differentiating between the 2 can usually be determined by physical exam alone. Kybella wouldn't help it the lesion were cystic, and may be damaging. I also agree with the other authors that using Kybella in the forehead might result in contour change or nerve damage. If I were considering this treatment I would start with very small amounts, if at all. 

Portland Physician

Thank you for sharing your question. Unfortunately Kybella is not approved for use in lipomas and though physicians are using it for other off-label purposes, I would be concerned about placing Kybella into the forehead resulting in dissolving more fat than anticipated and a contour irregularity.  Most lipomas can be removed surgically with a well-hidden scar that patients tolerate well.  Hope this helps.

Can lipomas be treated with Kybella?

This is an excellent questions. First, Kybella is not FDA approved for treating anything other than submental fat.However, theoretically lipomas of the forehead could potentially be treated but there is a possibility that the Kybella could diffuse outside the treatment zone and injure a branch of the facial nerve. Depending upon the location of the lipomas you may end up with a drooped brow secondary to facial nerve injury.

Joel E. Kopelman, MD, FACS
Ridgewood Oculoplastic Surgeon

Forehead Lipomas

If the lesions are in fact lipomas in your forehead, you would expect Kybella to decrease the size of the lesions.  What is unclear is by how much and what the cosmetic result would be.  What I have been doing for the forehead lipomas is making an incision in your hairline and using a scope to visualize the lipoma from underneath the skin and remove it that way.  This way the lipoma is removed entirely and there isn't a forehead scar.  

All the best!

Babar Sultan, MD
Towson Facial Plastic Surgeon