What is the medicine/ medicamental protocol to take at pre and post Kybella injections? For pain relief and faster recovery.

Kybella and Pain Relief

I treat a lot of patients with Kybella and it is a fabulous product.  We numb all patients topically first and then with lidocaine injections so that there is no discomfort from the Kybella. Afterwards Motrin or Alleve can be taken for some minor discomfort. Please consult an expert. Best, Dr. Green

Kybella aftercare

Thank you for your question cristianagsa. Kybella is the first and thus far only FDA approved non-surgical injectable treatment for the double chin. Swelling is the most common side effect after a Kybella treatment. I make the following recommendations for my patients: Keeping the head elevated when asleep with an extra pillow will help. Some people place a wrap around the front of the neck and back of the head. Application of cold compresses can also help. Over the counter pain relievers such as Tylenol and ibuprofen can help with comfort. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Kybella and pain control

Hello cristianagsa,

Thank you for your question. There are many different "protocols" to help reduce the discomfort that can be associated with Kybella. Prior to the procedure mild anti-inflammatory meds such as acetaminophen, ibuprofen or naproxen can be taken. Some will use ice only just prior to the procedure or in combination with the anti-inflammatory. Local anesthetic can be injected into the area prior to the Kybella injections or nothing at all. The main discomfort associated with Kybella is not so much the injections in that the needle is very small (just like a Botox needle) but from the medication itself which is typically described as a "burning sensation". This is greatly reduced by applying ice immediately after the last injection for 15-20 min which greatly reduces the discomfort. I will have the patient continue with ice and anti-inflammatory of their choice as they feel they need which typically is only for a couple of days. This of course will vary tremendously depending on how much medication was used and a person's tolerance to pain/discomfort. Rest assured Kybella is a great treatment and very effective at permanent fat removal in the sub-mental (under the chin) region. Wishing you well. 

Paul Pietro, MD
Greenville OB/GYN