7 weeks post injection, swelling hasn't returned to baseline. Is this normal?

My 1st kybella treatment with 2 vials was 7 weeks ago. The reduction in swelling seems to have plateaued between weeks 3 and 7. Numbness is 95% gone. When I pinch the region, I think I'm feeling I slightly hardened mass. My amount of fat was on the mild side. Is this normal? I'm starting to fear that it will take several months to reach baseline without an improvement.

Swelling after kybella

Thank you for your question. Every patient is different and will have different amounts of swelling post Kybella injections. Typically any swelling post treatment is resolved at 4-6 weeks, however in some patients it can take 8-10 weeks. I would not recommend a second treatment until the swelling from the first has fully resolved. You should return to your injector for evaluation. You injector can address the small mass as well. 

Swelling 7 weeks after Kybella

Good Morning mrbrie,

Thank you for sharing your question. There can always be variation, person to person, after a procedure as to swelling, bruising, induration etc. In the case of Kybella varying amounts are expected as well. Initially Kybella was recommended to wait a minimum of 4 weeks before proceeding with an additional treatment. However with time, experience and additional data many are now recommending to wait 6-8 weeks prior to the next treatment to take into account those with residual swelling as well as noting additional benefit has been noticed by waiting. Without photos (before and current) or an in person examination nobody on this or any forum will be able to truly assess your situation. Please proceed for an in person evaluation with the professional who performed your procedure for said review and examination. This will provide you with the information you seek and ability to plan your next move. Be well. 

Paul Pietro, MD
Greenville Physician

Kybella results

It is not uncommon to see some mild swelling for several weeks after Kybella injection. It will resolve with time. The hardness you are describing is also normal and is the result of inflammation/induration from the Kybella injection. It suggest to me that the Kybella is still working for you. I would hang in there. Everything you are describing seems normal. Most patients experience significant swelling for the first few days and then the swelling gradually decreases with some minor swelling lasting for a few weeks. I recommend that you wait for all the swelling and induration to go down before you have another treatment session.

Swelling after Kybella--VASER Lipo, ThermiRF, Thermage/Ultherapy, Fillers like Radiesse/Sculptra

Without a before and after picture it is hard to determine, but swelling after Kybella is normal for several weeks. Kybella can be used for localized areas but takes a number of treatments. It may be that you need contouring with a procedure like vaser lipo with thermiRF.  See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

Post Kybella swelling

Thank you for your question.  I'm sorry you are still having some swelling after injection with Kybella.  Without before and after photos, it would be difficult to assess exactly what happening with your injection site.  However, in general, 6 weeks is the minimum amount of time that needs to pass before proceeding with a second treatment.  While it isn't typical, it is certainly possible to still have some swelling after 7 weeks.  I would discuss your concern with your board certified injector, and review before and after photos.  

I hope that this helps!

-David Gilpin

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post op swelling

Although most patients recover fully within 6 weeks, some take longer. You obviously fall into the latter category. I know it's hard, but be patient and don't schedule your next treatment until all of your swelling has subsided. Hope this helps.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Kybella and swelling

Thanks for your question. Swelling varies from patient to patient; some patients are swollen longer than others and that is okay, especially if there is no pain. The hard mass/bump may be an indicator of indicates destroyed fat cells and membranes- this is good news! They collapse and your body can naturally absorb and remove the fat. If you still have swelling in a couple of days, please see your doctor. Hope this helps! Best, Dr. Katz

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Kybella

Hi there, everyone swells a little differently after Kybella and some swelling even after 7 weeks is probably normal. I wouldn't get additional treatments until the swelling is fully gone, and come back to your original provider after 8 weeks for a follow up. On average in our clients I am seeing swelling gone in 4 weeks.

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician

Kybella and Swelling

An in person consultation is necessary to evaluate the swelling that is remaining since this should be resolved by now.  Please consult an expert with this permanent procedure.  Best, Dr. Green

Swelling 7 weeks after Kybella

My patients are typically ready for their next treatment at 4-6 weeks from their initial injection of Kybella. It is difficult to comment without seeing photos, although most patients feel that their swelling subsides after 1-2 weeks. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon