7 weeks post injection, swelling hasn't returned to baseline. Is this normal?

My 1st kybella treatment with 2 vials was 7 weeks ago. The reduction in swelling seems to have plateaued between weeks 3 and 7. Numbness is 95% gone. When I pinch the region, I think I'm feeling I slightly hardened mass. My amount of fat was on the mild side. Is this normal? I'm starting to fear that it will take several months to reach baseline without an improvement.

Swelling after kybella

Thank you for your question. Every patient is different and will have different amounts of swelling post Kybella injections. Typically any swelling post treatment is resolved at 4-6 weeks, however in some patients it can take 8-10 weeks. I would not recommend a second treatment until the swelling from the first has fully resolved. You should return to your injector for evaluation. You injector can address the small mass as well. 

Swelling after kybella

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Swelling 7 weeks after Kybella

Good Morning mrbrie,

Thank you for sharing your question. There can always be variation, person to person, after a procedure as to swelling, bruising, induration etc. In the case of Kybella varying amounts are expected as well. Initially Kybella was recommended to wait a minimum of 4 weeks before proceeding with an additional treatment. However with time, experience and additional data many are now recommending to wait 6-8 weeks prior to the next treatment to take into account those with residual swelling as well as noting additional benefit has been noticed by waiting. Without photos (before and current) or an in person examination nobody on this or any forum will be able to truly assess your situation. Please proceed for an in person evaluation with the professional who performed your procedure for said review and examination. This will provide you with the information you seek and ability to plan your next move. Be well. 

Swelling 7 weeks after Kybella

Good Morning mrbrie,

Kybella results

It is not uncommon to see some mild swelling for several weeks after Kybella injection. It will resolve with time. The hardness you are describing is also normal and is the result of inflammation/induration from the Kybella injection. It suggest to me that the Kybella is still working for you. I would hang in there. Everything you are describing seems normal. Most patients experience significant swelling for the first few days and then the swelling gradually decreases with some minor swelling lasting for a few weeks. I recommend that you wait for all the swelling and induration to go down before you have another treatment session.

Kybella results

Swelling after Kybella--VASER Lipo, ThermiRF, Thermage/Ultherapy, Fillers like Radiesse/Sculptra

Without a before and after picture it is hard to determine, but swelling after Kybella is normal for several weeks. Kybella can be used for localized areas but takes a number of treatments. It may be that you need contouring with a procedure like vaser lipo with thermiRF.  See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

Post Kybella swelling

Thank you for your question.  I'm sorry you are still having some swelling after injection with Kybella.  Without before and after photos, it would be difficult to assess exactly what happening with your injection site.  However, in general, 6 weeks is the minimum amount of time that needs to pass before proceeding with a second treatment.  While it isn't typical, it is certainly possible to still have some swelling after 7 weeks.  I would discuss your concern with your board certified injector, and review before and after photos.  

I hope that this helps!

-David Gilpin

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post Kybella swelling

I hope that this helps!

-David Gilpin

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella treatments

Thank you for your question mrbrie. I understand your concern. Kybella is the first and thus-far only FDA-approved non-surgical injectable treatment for the double chin. Nodules can form after a treatment. I wait 3 months between treatments to allow for such nodules to resolve. Patience is important. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Kybella treatments

Swelling after Kybella

Firstly, it is important to continue follow up with your provider until all side effects are gone and you are able to see end results. Every patient reacts differently on every single procedure; therefore, it is hard to tell without in person examination. It can be that you are fine and that it takes longer time for you to heal completely. There are patients who heal within 4 weeks while others take around 10 weeks to heal completely. You should not continue with your treatments until you are healed. Your hardened mass can be product of swelling. It is hard to tell without in person examination. I advise you to have a follow up with your provider. Good luck! 

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Swelling after Kybella

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Post op swelling

Although most patients recover fully within 6 weeks, some take longer. You obviously fall into the latter category. I know it's hard, but be patient and don't schedule your next treatment until all of your swelling has subsided. Hope this helps.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Post op swelling

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kybella and swelling

Thanks for your question. Swelling varies from patient to patient; some patients are swollen longer than others and that is okay, especially if there is no pain. The hard mass/bump may be an indicator of indicates destroyed fat cells and membranes- this is good news! They collapse and your body can naturally absorb and remove the fat. If you still have swelling in a couple of days, please see your doctor. Hope this helps! Best, Dr. Katz

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Kybella and swelling

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Kybella

Hi there, everyone swells a little differently after Kybella and some swelling even after 7 weeks is probably normal. I wouldn't get additional treatments until the swelling is fully gone, and come back to your original provider after 8 weeks for a follow up. On average in our clients I am seeing swelling gone in 4 weeks.

Kybella