I want to mix Minoxidil 5% with caster oil and coconut oil for hair growth. Is this safe and will it work?

Minoxidil is proven to show hair growth. Caster oil and coconut oil are shown to have positive effects on hair quality and growth. Theory: mixing all three should optimize hair growth. Also if it is safe, how would I even make this? Add water to minoxidil powder and heat in order to make it into liquid then add the oils in?

Castor oil or coconut oil would not "hurt" but it is not used to treat hair loss. If you are concerned ask your doctor.

Castor oil or coconut oil would not "hurt" but it is not used to treat hair loss.  If you are concerned ask your doctor.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

GreetingsThank you for your question, The is no reason for you to mix any of this stick to the minoxidil or visit a pharmacist.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Mixing minoxidil 5% with caster and coconut oils?

legitpauls,Why would you want to do this? Are you a registered pharmacist? Minoxidil 5% is proven to have benefit in the treatment of genetic hair loss, but I do not know of any studies on Caster, and/or coconut oils! All the best,
Bernardino A. Arocha, MD

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Mixing Minoxidil with other substsnaces

I don't know why you would want to do this. Who is telling you that this is valuable?  Stick to the minoxidil alone

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Minoxidil and hair growth

If you are a male, you might try other treatments,but  if female, will work temporarily. You may want to hormone test as that is one of the reasons for female hair loss. Stress also plays a factor.See a local endocrine specialist first before investing in short term esults.

Robert V. Mandraccia, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Minoxidil

Your first statement is correct - that minoxidil has a proven positive effect on growth. However, castor oil and coconut oil do not have proven benefit.Mixing anything in minoxidil dilutes it - and makes it potentially less beneficial. But what readers may not be aware is that preparing and heating minoxidil is a nightmare - and can significantly alter the minoxidil and change how it works. Only an experienced pharmacist should be heating minoxidil. In fact, I only trust certain pharmacists when it comes to compounding. It's not easy to mix up minoxidil.