Giant Papillary Conjunctivitis and Droopy Eyelids?

Hello, I had GPC in one of my eyes and the lid has been droopy for about 3 weeks. From what I can tell, it looks like the GPC is cleared up, I've been treating it with Pred Forte. I'm afraid my eyelid might stay like this permanently. Is this a legitimate fear? I just had upper blepharoplasty done on my eyelids less than that a year ago.

Thank you for your question. They define the look of the eye and our appearance as well. Eyelids are the first things that reflect when we are tired or sleepy. Therefore the condition of both upper and lower eyelid is important. Blepharoplasty, also known as eyelid surgery can be performed to lower eyelid, upper eyelid or both. Blepharoplasty covers removing the excess skin tissue in the upper eyelid, removing the excess fat tissue and skin tissue in the lower eyelid and repositioning the eyelid line in both areas. The incision can be made via scalpel as well as laser. We perform laser blepharoplasty since it is faster and safer and it yields a faster recovery period. The laser is actually used for the incision for removal of the hooding skin of the upper eyelids. The result is dramatic, evident immediately, and bruising is usually minimal with the laser.

Droopy eyelid after conjunctivitis?

The droopy eyelid (ptosis) may or may not be related to the GPC.  If the GPC has resolved and the ptosis has persisted, then it is unlikely to go away.  This may require ptosis surgery which involves tightening the muscle responsible for lifting the eyelid.  This is different than upper blepharoplasty, which simply removes skin from the upper eyelid and doesn't actually raise the eyelid.  See an oculoplastic surgeon for evaluation.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon