BMI 33%; Good candidate for liposuction? (photo)

6'2" Female, 20 years old. I have steadily been loosing weight for the past year. Weight gain was due to a major life changing event which has since then been dealt with. Currently seeing a therapist to tackle core issues but would like to see some noticeable results.

Hello,I believe you are not quite ready for liposuction.  Your BMI is a little too high still. I recommend keeping up the great job you are already doing for at least another 6 months. Remember, low glycemic is the best diet, not low fat. Keep protein levels high, and avoid sweets. Best of luck!

Wait until you achieve your target weight before getting liposuction.

Congratulations on your ongoing weight loss. It’s understandable that you’d like to see noticeable results, but I wouldn’t recommend liposuction for you at this stage. You’d experience the best liposuction results by waiting until you’ve reached your ideal weight before you have procedure done. If you get lipo and then continue to lose weight, you’ll likely need additional liposuction. It’s also important to note that liposuction isn’t a weight loss method—rather, it eliminates persistent pockets of fat that diet and exercise can’t remove, and it can bring out the final results of your weight loss journey once you’ve hit your target weight.

Lipo is the great motivator and could help a lot in so many patients.

Liposuction under tumescent local is easy to undergo and makes such a nice improvement in so many patients. It is such a great motivator and often just what you need to keep on exercising and dieting to continue your weight loss program when you've reached a stagnant point.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Will liposuction help me?

Liposuction will definitely help anyone that has excess fat. If you have some excess skin with it, in order to get the better result you would need that removed.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Good candidate for liposuction?

I don't think you're quite ready for liposuction. It will not have a dramatic effect that is worth the cost. It's also not a good procedure for weight loss.I would continue weight loss and reach your goal weight. Once you're stable at your goal weight for six months, then have consultations with board-certified plastic surgeons. They will examine you and determine whether you would benefit for them liposuction or possibly another body contouring procedure such as a tummy tuck.

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting and Tummy Tuck -- CANDIDATE?

Liposuction is a fine contouring cosmetic procedure and not used as a weight loss tool. When you have reached your ideal weight, liposuction can be performed for body contouring and sculpting. Please consult with an expert.  you likely will need liposuction and skin removal.  Best, Dr. Emer

Abdominal liposuction

On review of your pictures, it is unclear if you have excess lower abdominal skin. Liposuction will remove fat/thin out excess skin, but it will not remove it (only an abdominoplasty will do that).  "Laser" liposuction, or using heat, does cause only a mild degree of skin tightening.

Regina M. Fearmonti, MD
New Braunfels Plastic Surgeon

BMI 33%; Good candidate for liposuction?

I personally do not perform liposuction on patients with a high BMI because I cannot give them the best results. I would recommend you get back to a good weight first. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

High BMI and liposuction

You are the world's best lipsuctionist:  when you lose weight on your own, the cells shrink uniformly without contour irregularities, cost or risk!  No surgeon can guarantee those results.Since your weight gain was a temporary event, and you are actively losing weight, it is best to continue your journey until you reach a stable plateau, see what still bothers you, and then get some guidance from an experience board certified plastic surgeon.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Liposuction ok at BMI of 33?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • Congratulations on your weight loss and I am glad you have things under control -
  • Well cone!
  • If you are losing weight, I would keep on losing weight.
  • Liposuction is not for weight loss - you body will eat back the fat and it appears in new areas unless you lose at least 10 pounds afterwards.
  • I encourage you to keep up the weight loss until you reach 10 pounds above your goal weight.
  • Keep that weight for 6 months and then have liposuction to reshape your body, if it is needed.
  • Then lose 10 pounds after liposuction - and you will get your best possible result.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FAC