My doctor used Radiesse in my tear troughs and now I'm worried!

I just recently began having facial work done and began with Juvederm in the lips, Botox in the forehead and Radiesse for my cheeks, temples and under eye hollows. I went with the doctor's recommendations on which product to use where. I am now reading LOTS of opinions that Radiesse is not good for the under eye area. Mine was done two weeks ago - Should I be worried or anything I can do to prevent problems? I am still very bruised so not sure how the final look will be.

Hi, I've used Radiesse on may patients for facial shaping.  When it first became available in the US, I used it in the cheeks, chin and jawline.  Once the HA fillers came out with similar products, I found Restylane Lift (Perlane) the best for shaping the cheeks and chin while Radiesse is very good for shaping the jawline in men and filling in hands.  Radiesse and the thicker HA fillers (Restylane Lift, Juvederm Ultra Plus and Voluma) are designed to be injected into areas with subcutaneous fat.  The lower eyelids and lips don't have that layer and as such, these fillers shouldn't be used.  They can and do create enlarged lumps in the the lower eyelids (skin is very thin) and lumps in the lips.  Additionally, unlike the HA fillers there's no way to dissolve Radiesse.

Hope this helps.

Let Go of Worry--Under-eye treatment with Radiesse, use microcannulas

As long as you're not having problems, you should be fine. It seems as though you still have some time before your final result. Radiesse cannot be reversed but there are techniques that can be used to help reverse the filler, if you are unhappy with your final results. I recommend using microcannulas to get the best result. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Radiesse in tear trough

Although there are many fillers on the market, none are actually approved for use in the tear trough. The more robust a filler is the more trouble can occur and Radiesse is a robust filler. That said if you are not having trouble then it is ok. Sometimes if a filler like this is injected deep enough onto bone it is ok, but not recommended

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Radiesse in Tear Troughs

None of the currently available fillers have an FDA indication for the tear troughs.  Radiesse is generally considered the least desirable because of its firm nature and our lack of ability to dissolve it, as is possible with hyaluronic acid fillers. However, if you aren't having a problem, no intervention is necessary other than making sure you don't have Radiesse in this area again. 

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse tear troughs...

Thank you for your question.  We would not typically recommend Radiesse in the tear troughs as that is a firm filler and eyelid skin is very thin.  This is already a technically very difficult area to treat, so selecting the proper product is important as is injection technique, we recommend microcannula.  That being said if at two weeks you are noticing any problems you are likely to be ok.  Please seek out the expertise of a Board Certified Dermatologist/PS for future aesthetic treatments.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse for Tear Troughs

Hi and thank you for sharing your concern here! I do not recommend Radiesse for under the eye injection, as it is a thick filler and may not settled naturally under the eyes. In addition, Radiesse is a stimulating filler (meaning that it induces body to produce more collagen around it, which can be a great thing when Radiesse is injected at the proper location), but when injected under the eyes (or in other inappropriate places like lips), it may cause small lumps and bumps later on. Of course these are all possibilities and they might not be the case for every patients to emerge as noticeable problem and it might be best for you to monitor the progress and follow up as needed with your doctor or other physicians experienced in the field. Generally speaking, Radiesse can be a good choice for many other places like the temples and cheeks which you also did, although I personally prefer Voluma in the temples and cheeks over Radiesse (albeit the higher cost can be a factor to consider). Anyways, I hope it helps and good luck!

Elham Jafari, MD
Irvine Physician

Worried about Radiesse used in tear troughs

I generally do not recommend using Radiesse in the tear troughs because the skin is very thin in that area and the Radiesse is fairly firm, so it is possible that visual irregularities could develop. Having the Radiesse there should not cause any other potential problems though. If you are not seeing any bumps or lumps at this point two weeks after your treatment, everything most likely will be fine. 

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon