Can radiesse be flattened after 4 weeks?

I had radiesse in my cheeks 4 weeks ago, yesterday I massaged and tried to countour one of the sides for a few seconds but kind of rough , now that side looks flatter! It is possible that I flat the radiesse?? I swear looks without the same shape my dr gave me :( I read and read that radiesse after 2 weeks can not move or mold, but why my face looks different now????? Please advice :)

Hi, I have performed many facial shaping procedures using dermal fillers, facial implants (cheek, chin), liposuction and/or facelifts for over 30 years. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front. Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

Unlike the HA fillers, Radiesse can't be dissolved or otherwise adjusted.  This is one of the reasons that I prefer using Restylane Lift to shape the cheeks, chin and jaw line when using a dermal filler.

Hope this helps.

Nonmobile radiuses

I absolutely agree with my colleagues, the Radiesse didn't move after 4 weeks.

Something I see quite a bit though is that my patients like the way they look a couple days after injection (when there is some additional swelling) then when the swelling subsides, they come back asking for a bit more. 

Hope this helps! 

Dr. Robb

Philip K. Robb Jr., MD
Evans Physician

Radiesse, and massage.

No, you did not move your Radiesse. Not at the 4 week mark. This is when collagen stimulation should be happening (see video that shows collagen tightening at week 4 then time lapse to week 8). Most injectors will massage Radiesse just after the procedure. This can reduce the lumps and bumps and spread the product evenly in your skin. All the best, Dr Davin Lim. Brisbane. Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

1 month after Radiesse

It is very unlikely that at 4 weeks out, you massaging did anything to the Radiesse. My first question would be, do you also sleep on that side? If so putting pressure on that area when you sleep may be the cause as to why it looks flatter on that side. I would suggest seeing your injector again to discuss your options. Good luck.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

Massaging Radiesse

When you inject Radiesse it usually takes about a month to see true results because of swelling and/or bruising.We generally don’t recommend that patients massage Radiesse.  Often, the doctor will mold the Radiesse with massage as he’s injecting it and then will ask the patient to leave it alone. If there’s any irregularity with the Radiesse, you can have the doctor check it and make recommendations.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Radiesse and Results--Flattening--See an Expert

It sounds as if you may have flattened it some. If injected properly, this filler has fantastic results and gives very good long term outcomes.  I would consult an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

Flattening of Radiesse effect

In all likelihood, the swelling has dissipated.  Sculpting of Radiesse and other fillers requires skill and I would not recommend that patients undertake this on their own.

Molding Of Radiesse After Injection

Two weeks is a general time frame during which radiesse can be shaped and molded, however there are many variables that influence that including the location in which it is injected,the degree of motion of the soft tissues at that location, the depth at which it is injected, the technique used in injecting it, the volume of local anesthesia that is mixed with the radiesse, the degree of bleeding, bruising, swelling and inflammation associated with the injection, etc.  However, the most common reason why your face looks different after the injection is the subsidence of the immediate swelling and inflammation after the initial injection.

Peter Lee, MD, FACS

Radiesse - when can it be molded?

Thank you for asking about your Radiesse.

• Yes, Radiesse is a gel - it sounds as though you made it flatter with pressure.
  • At times one can mold filler weeks, even months after injection -
  • As long as it is not locked in with scar, one can move it - but scar forms around it making it harder to mold as time goes by.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS