How much weight can be lost with an Orbera balloon?

Orbera Belly Balloon weight loss

The Orbera was recently approved by the FDA. Studies show that patients lose 2.5x the weight as compared to traditional weight loss methods. The weight loss is variable and can range from 20-70 pounds. The gastric balloon is part of a comprehensive 12 month program of coaching with nutrition and exercise sessions.  During my training on Braxil I removed a balloon from a woman who lost 65 lbs. in 6 months.

Orbera Belly Balloon weight loss

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Orbera Balloon Weight Loss Program

Hi, great question. Typically, people can lose anywhere from 20-40 pounds. (Usually around 31% of excess body weight based on research studies), but how well one does depends on many factors. This is a tool and it needs to be used appropriately in combination with lifestyle and behavior modification to help you lose weight and to keep it off. The balloon is placed in your stomach for 6months and then removed endoscopically. I believe it is important for patients to have support after the balloon is removed to try and prevent any weight regain, so I provide a 1 year program for my patients to have a dietician and myself available to support my patients for the 6months following removal to keep them on track. This procedure is an excellent and effective option. I recommend reaching out to an experienced surgeon to learn more about it and to find out if this is right for you.

Orbera Balloon Weight Loss Program

Gastric balloon weight loss

Though individual results will vary, in the US clinical study, ORBERA™ patients lost an average of 21.8 lbs. In general we see numbers ranging from 20 to 50 lbs in 6 months. It is very difficult to predict where are you going to fall in this range because so many different variables affect weight loss. Warm regards, Dr. Darido.

Elias Darido, MD, FACS
Houston Bariatric Surgeon

Gastric balloon weight loss

Elias Darido, MD, FACS
Houston Bariatric Surgeon

How much weight can be lost with the Orbera balloon?

In my experience, I had a patient who lost 80 pounds in 6 months. Another patient lost 70 pounds. One patient lost 54 pounds after 4 months and asked to have the balloon removed because she reached her goal. I did removed the balloon as requested.

Take care,

Take care,

Weightloss and Intragastric balloon

The weight loss can vary between 30-70 pounds. The majority of weightloss happens within first three months. You weighloss will depend on how devoted and motivated you are to your weightloss journey.. Balloon is not a magic bullet. You still need  to modify your diet and try to make better food choices. My first case few years back lost 50 pounds in 30 days. 

Weightloss and Intragastric balloon

Weight loss with the Orbera balloon

The studies showed an expected weight loss between 20-40 pounds. But you well know that outcomes vary from study-patients and non-study-patients. Depending on what the excess weight is, the higher the weight typically the more the loss. But that is a generality. Expect a weight loss in the range of 30+ pounds in the first 6 months and then more during the ensuing period (if continued nutritional support, diet) and an active life style including exercise. If you were to lose a pound/week, then the first 6 months you would at least lose 26 pounds. We see patients losing 2-3 pounds/week during the initial phases of the first 6 months, thus likely losing more than 30 pounds in the first 6 months. I hope this helps you. Best of luck

Weight loss with the Orbera balloon

Orbera Gastric Balloon Weight Loss

The average patient loses about 30 pounds with Orbera.  We all know how averages are calculated however, that means some patients lose less and some lose more!  Our patients in New Orleans are very happy and successful.  Best wishes in pursuit of improved health, regardless of what treatment you choose!

Rachel Moore, MD
New Orleans Bariatric Surgeon

Orbera Gastric Balloon Weight Loss

Rachel Moore, MD
New Orleans Bariatric Surgeon