How much weight can be lost with an Orbera balloon?

Weight loss with the Orbera balloon

The studies showed an expected weight loss between 20-40 pounds. But you well know that outcomes vary from study-patients and non-study-patients. Depending on what the excess weight is, the higher the weight typically the more the loss. But that is a generality. Expect a weight loss in the range of 30+ pounds in the first 6 months and then more during the ensuing period (if continued nutritional support, diet) and an active life style including exercise. If you were to lose a pound/week, then the first 6 months you would at least lose 26 pounds. We see patients losing 2-3 pounds/week during the initial phases of the first 6 months, thus likely losing more than 30 pounds in the first 6 months. I hope this helps you. Best of luck

Houston Physician

Gastric balloon weight loss

Though individual results will vary, in the US clinical study, ORBERA™ patients lost an average of 21.8 lbs. In general we see numbers ranging from 20 to 50 lbs in 6 months. It is very difficult to predict where are you going to fall in this range because so many different variables affect weight loss. Warm regards, Dr. Darido.

Elias Darido, MD, FACS
Houston Bariatric Surgeon

Orbera Belly Balloon weight loss

The Orbera was recently approved by the FDA. Studies show that patients lose 2.5x the weight as compared to traditional weight loss methods. The weight loss is variable and can range from 20-70 pounds. The gastric balloon is part of a comprehensive 12 month program of coaching with nutrition and exercise sessions.  During my training on Braxil I removed a balloon from a woman who lost 65 lbs. in 6 months.

Orbera Gastric Balloon Weight Loss

The average patient loses about 30 pounds with Orbera.  We all know how averages are calculated however, that means some patients lose less and some lose more!  Our patients in New Orleans are very happy and successful.  Best wishes in pursuit of improved health, regardless of what treatment you choose!

Rachel Moore, MD
New Orleans Bariatric Surgeon